Monday, September 28, 2009

Week 3: No Pain, No Gain

It has been a bit odd being back in a sports uniform. The Roadrunners shirt is not exactly like being a player; but, it is kind of nice having that athletic team/club feeling again after so long. I have played in pickup and intramural games; but, nothing like the team feeling, that seems to be returning. It was almost exciting when I saw another runner last week at Clover Park in the same shirt! The GR8 Pace Leaders had suggested writing names on the shirt (I doubt mine would be too legible) or ... embroidery (Uh ....). I think that will wait; I do have an idea for March 21 ... old school method.

Well, I completed the third marathon training session, running five miles Saturday in a higher group, The LA Roadrunners Magnificent 7. It was a bit odd as the group ran at about the same pace as Eighth Army/GR8 had been running; but, it was probably a break for me as my knee was a bit sore and I have not been sleeping well. In the end, I managed to do pretty well and kept up easily and felt there was plenty of energy left. The group is a bit more subdued than GR8; but, they have some very knowledgeable coaches who are also ready to answer questions, just like GR8 ones. I will probably stick with Magnificent 7 for a bit and see how I fare. May be Pick Six will come; may be it will not.

This week's run started to the familiar north turning around just south of Santa Monica Pier. It was also the first run with two water loads (same station, just once outbound and once inbound). The new addition was heading past the start and south then through some alleys surrounded by condos and apartments, and hence quietly as possible, and towards the Venice Pier.

It was then back up the boardwalk to the start for stretching and also information on various running gadgets. After the now routine Gatorade, water and bananas, it was an interesting lecture on shoes (Zola Budd obviously not involved). I then spoke with the senior pace leader of Magnificent 7 a bit afterwards, particularly on how to move arms in distance running (answer being pump them like in track, just not as pronounced!).

I was fairly happy with the result. I had been sore all week and despite some actually decent times in midweek felt sluggish and struggling. My knee has been a tad bothersome and even quadriceps seemed tight. Yet, I got going and it all came together, which was a welcome relief.

I also thought a bit about the year just how it has been shown in of all things ... piers! There is Santa Monica Pier where I have been going a fair bit. There was the March trip to Wigan Pier, a place so very different and yet so very meaningful to me, despite its and the time's challenges. There was the pier on the Salvadoran coast I saw from my flight into San Salvador, a place I never quite reached, but at least could see from a distance. Now, there is Venice Pier, a new place for me, a place I have to find a meaning for as well.

It has been a year of change and challenge for me. Many things happened and caught me by surprise; yet, I have managed to go on, sometimes not knowing how. I hope these experiences will help me with the running, being able to go on despite "The Wall" or physical pain. The pain is not fun obviously; but, I am hoping God will keep giving me the will and enough health to make this happen March 21 at the Los Angeles Marathon. CREDO.

No comments:

Post a Comment