Thursday, September 17, 2009

When You're Born to Run ....

As I woke up this morning, I turned the radio dial and locked in on an "oldie," Steve Winwood's "Back in the High Life Again." Even though it is quite mellow, I have always liked it and the lyrics struck a chord with me this time with talk of life going on too fast, doors that had closed, and eyes no longer watching.

Now that I am on a proper marathon, training regimen, I am trying to really improve. The Roadrunners' Group 8 pace leaders sent a nice email and I realized I am apparently classed at "Intermediate" level (based on days off they said to have and comparing it to the schedule. Yeah!

So, it was off to Clover Park for another day of training the Roadrunners way. I set out and tried to really focus on not being a sprinter ... running flatter and with shorter strides. A funny thing happened .... my first lap was fast, very fast. I was flying and actually had to in aviation-speak derate the thrust to follow the training manual for my remaining time on the run. It was a beautiful morning and for some reason despite some various pains, it felt like all systems were GO!

Wednesday had also been a solid day as well. Despite some physical and mental exertions the last few days, somehow my body got the idea it would like to run and run well.

Anyways, it felt great! Despite being "work" and exerting, it just felt so nice to be out there and giving it a go despite everything else at the moment. In fact I completed the assigned 30 minutes and had a little bit of a lap to complete and saw a nice, inviting open straightaway free of walkers, dogs, bicyclists, etc. and ... got off a very nice and fun all out sprint to finish the session. It was just such a welcome and needed rush.

Meanwhile, I am starting to look for a theme song. I tend to pick songs for things, especially retreat talks and sports. So, I would mark sprinting days with "Danger Zone" and intramural hockey ("non-contact" ...) was "Lunatic Fringe." I need one for this whole increasingly interesting journey. Gone are the days of playing "Back in Black," "Black Celebration," "Paint It Black," "Hell's Bells," etc.; I have an idea and will test it out Saturday morning.

Meanwhile, I am still working to adjust as Steve Winwood says, "When you're born to run, it's so hard to just slow down."

No comments:

Post a Comment