Saturday, October 17, 2009

Week 6: SURPRISE!

Today was the first week of the second build-up phase. After last week's three-mile cut-back week, it was back at the building up of resources for the big day of the Los Angeles Marathon. So, thankfully, I did my mid-week running despite it being dark and one day nice and wet!

Before the weekly trek to the Strand and even the motivational chant, the leaders announced a surprise. It would not be seven miles ... which was the plan and even emailed Thursday. It would be eight! Eight miles. One water station. Nice warm, sunny day. "Surprise, surprise, surprise" as Gomer Pyle used to say when I was very young.

Soon my Group 7 (Lucky 7/Magnificent 7) was rapidly heading to the Strand and eventually we were off. It was such an amazing day with the warm, warm sun along the beach (even if I would not dare enter the Pacific Ocean after a storm!). I felt really comfortable and for once even had a talkative partner which really helped.

We even player Roadrunners gossip, namely what effect the pending Frank and Jamie McCourt divorce which has been spread all over the paper just in time to distract from the Dodgers' playoffs, will have on the Marathon since they own it! Hopefully, it stays as it is as I am happy with the Roadrunners program and the idea of doing IT (the marathon).

We headed north and got to the water station, where I began using my first nutritional chews ever during a run. Think gumdrops meets energy drink. Soon, it was up on the Santa Monica Pier and to Ocean Avenue and a spectacular view of the sea. The group headed north further and further to the really affluent areas of Santa Monica crossing Wilshire, Arizona, California, etc. all the way to San Vicente! Then, it was turn around at the famous totem pole and head back.

I really felt comfortable and only a bit of tenderness in my knee. I think being in the group really helps and the nice weather as well, even as my shirt got rapidly soaked in sweat for the first time as a Roadrunner.

Heading south of Santa Monica Blvd., I thought I would honor my neighborhood and turn my cap around, keeping it that way until Ocean Park Blvd. You can take El Guerro out of the Pico Neighborhood; but, ...

The group was soon back into Venice and I sighted a typical SoCal sight: a marijuana "evaluation" clinic next to "Botox by the Beach." Ugh. Just what we need to show tourists, right?

The group headed for a small bit into a quiet residential area in Venice before returning to the boardwalk. I really felt tempted to sprint; but, resisted ... for now. Old habits die hard.

The group got back to the starting point. The senior leader who is great mentioned the training schedule is being changed and the midweek runs upped and also that the actual route will be out in two weeks!

It was time to get back to the school where the Gatorade line was longer than usual! It was also time for a banana and some nuts. I then visited the second charity exhibition. Charity work on this is one thing I still have to determine.

It was then off for home.

I felt a quiet kind of satisfaction at the end, eight miles on a warm day, and I still had a lot of energy in the "gas tank." It feels like progress!

Life has been a real challenge the past few months; so, progress on any front is welcome. Still, for a time today, I felt progress and it felt good. Godwilling, it continues. I am not sure who the patron saint of marathons is, if there even is one! I think regardless I will go with St. Michael, my patron saint, and someone with wings (as well as a sword for difficult times!).

No comments:

Post a Comment