Thursday, October 29, 2009

They're Watching Me ...

Today was another pre-dawn mid-week run. It was another clear, star-filled, well relatively, sky as the wind was actually blowing a tad.



I brought out my Garmin GPS unit and decided to try to run to now run to pace goal as I learn more of the ins and outs of it. After having it locate satellites (rather nifty feeling knowing the thing on my wrist finds satellites!), I started off determined to add the new tool to the training. This proved a tad frustrating, especially in the dark.



I set off on what felt like the pace I wanted; but, the unit would say too fast, too slow ... and then there were traffic lights, etc. It got a frustrating trying to adjust to speed and I found it a lot less enjoyable to run with "watch the clock" joining "watch for bad drivers" and "watch for fallen tree limbs" as goals. I just wanted to get the McCourt soap opera out of my mind!



Finishing was a bit disappointing as the unit said I was 30 seconds too fast per mile; so, I slowed down and then halted for a traffic light ... Soon, I was way OVER the goal. In the end it was a run of 45:12 for 3.39 miles of aerobic running.



I am just placing my faith in this system as the aerobic concept and not stretching prior to starting is so foreign to sprinting. The Roadrunners sent an article about how humans are actually designed for long-distance running; but, modern surfaces and shoes (oh, oh) lead to problems.



Still, I hope I will become more accustomed to the unit and running with it and make the training better. Anything that helps me finish the marathon ...



2 comments:

  1. That's my problem too. I tend to run too fast during my weekly runs. I try to pace myself, but I can't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no control over pacing myself. None. Seriously, I should seek help on the matter and not be giving advice. But my nugget of wisdom: if it feels good, go with it. I used to try and slow down to the pace I thought I should be going and I experienced knee pains. So I scrapped it and went with my body and haven't looked back. Either way, good luck with your training!

    ReplyDelete