Sunday, November 1, 2009

Week 8: Halloween X-Rated Run!

Saturday marked my eighth Saturday training for the Los Angeles Marathon with the Roadrunners. It also marked Halloween! Even better, it was my X-Rated Run! Before I left home, I was happy to catch U2's "Where the Streets Have No Name" on the radio and the line "I want to run ..." It will not be my "official" theme song for the marathon; but, i do like it and it fits.

It was a rather odd start with many runners and leaders missing. There was no rallying chant which was a bit disappointing.

It was just a beautiful day, unlike the previous week's fog, which would have been more fitting for Halloween. My group headed off to the north. One of the pace leaders was dressed in a 1970s disco-type outfit ... truly scary. Three of my old group's leaders dressed up as well. I was a bit more cautious and dressed as a marathon runner ... no one would believe it though. As the group headed off, I began wondering who in Venice was in costume and who was not. I also saw a friend from church and jokingly invited him to join the fun.

This was the longest run of my life, scheduled for 10 miles. I was a bit nervous; but, I also felt some excitement. It is obviously not 26.2; but, personal records still count in my mind.

My knee overall has been better the last few weeks. It has its odd flareups, especially after prolonged time in a seat; but, it is much better than before and my ankle pain from summer is gone thankfully.

The trip up the Santa Monica Pier and Ocean Avenue really felt comfortable. I was using a new type of energy food for a trial and it seems to work as well. The group headed to the new Totem Pole landmark (where I touched the claws for luck) and then on to Adelaide for the turning point.

This week, my line partner warned he was a bit cautious with his calf; but, he made it and we had a nice chat along the way on baseball, the McCourts, Alberta, etc. He did break off early at eight miles; but, he did well.

Then it was off into Venice's sidestreets, including the non-sprinting Speedway and eventually the turnaround point there at Lighthouse Street for the short return leg home.

My group, officially Lucky 7 or my Magnificent 7, went on a 11:48 pace for 10.24 miles in 2:00:53! (So sayeth my Garmin 305).

I was happy. It felt great to be able to go that far and feel like I could go even further! Later in the day I had a little soreness in my thighs and calves; but, I felt the return of the old track feeling of joy as it meant a good workout. Even better was it was not sharp or even lasting too long. So, that is my X-Rated run ... X being for the BIG TEN miles ...

2 comments:

  1. I got scared when I read the title of your post, but I got a laugh at the end. Very skillful use of Roman numerals.

    Otherwise...
    Congratulations on running the 10 miles!!! Hurray!!!

    By the way, are you following your former coaches' advice of "I LOVE PAIN! GIVE ME MORE COACH!?" It sounds like torture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We try ... it is getting tougher to come up woth titles for long runs!

    I try not to follow that peice of advice; I do kind of go with the "Mind over matter: if you do not mind the pain, it does not matter" one.

    Our group always has a big clap at the end of the run and the senior pace leader asks how many made their longest run ever this week ... for me it's been the last two.

    Enjoy the cutback week!

    ReplyDelete