Sunday, November 15, 2009

Week 10: The Dirty Dozen!

This week's long run boldly went where I had not gone before ...

It turned out to be an absolutely spectacular morning, crisp, clear and bright. It was magnificent even before setting out on the run. It was time for the weekly Roadrunners trot.

Before heading out on the run, I made my first use of BODYGLIDE ® anti-chafe balm. I have been starting to have problems on the longer runs, especially since I have classic sprinter thighs (i.e. built-up). The idea of having chafing for the Los Angeles Marathon was not a positive one. It was simple to use and turned out to work very well. I am happy to have that issue solved , definitely.

Also, before setting out on the run, I did another experiment and had a Clif Shot chocolate flavor gel. I liked the taste. I do wonder with the gels if they will be messy on a long run or during the marathon. I am also learning that with any of these nutrient combinations during running that it is NOT the Popeye Effect, i.e. an instant burst of energy akin to Popeye's strength increasing after eating a can of spinach. It seems much more just refuelling like with a car. I had no problems with the gel and any aftereffects, which was a good sign.

During this run I was back to the GU strawberry chomps, the ones I think of as Gummibears. I feel comfortable with them now and since this was my longest run ever did not want to experiment too much. They seemed to work well. They are bulkier than the gels; but, they are also cleaner.

The run itself was incredible. I felt much more relaxed and better than the previous cutback week. My running partner and I had a fun conversation as we rolled up to the Santa Monica Pier and onwards to the north of Santa Monica

I just felt so good. My knee was not an issue. I was enjoying the ocean views, the waves, and even the crazy people. Soon, my Group 7 was at The Totem Pole.

Then it was off to the edge of the abyss, Adelaide Street, with nice canyon views and big homes. Shortly, it was on to San Vicente Boulevard. I opted to run down the median preferring grass to concrete due to prior bouts of shin splints.

It was really fun running down the median, with the extra challenges of avoiding tree limbs, roots, signs, and metal grates/holes. This led to a game with people near me of calling out hazards. SIGN! ROOT! HOLE! SIGN! SIGN! HOLE! and on and on. This continued until the turnaround at 26th Street.

I also managed a soccer move! A pinecone fell suddenly right at my right foot. Instinctively I managed to sweep it off to the side in a single motion. Ah, the wonders of being a fullback.

I felt so comfortable I had not noticed the incline, which turning around I suddenly saw! The good part was turning back was downhill. It meant we were also running the last four miles of the marathon route, which is reassuring.

Heading down San Vicente, we soon saw the ocean, meaning Ocean Avenue and the final turn of the marathon! What a sight with the azure ocean and sky. Running down the street I also picked what I hope will be the landmark to start a final sprint ... California Avenue! .4 miles from the finish line on Santa Monica Boulevard.

The group continued down on to the pier and back south along the boardwalk. Soon, after a small excursion to Venice sidestreets, it was back to Windward and the finish. I felt fantastic. I had run my longest run ever and had energy left for more. The stretching was done and it was off for the now traditional Gatorade and bananas.

A few hours later I did feel a bit sore; but, it was the good "workout" sore vs. the bad pain. I was just happy to know I had come this far. It is not 26.2; but, 12.1 is still pretty good compared to April level.

My group finished 12.11 miles at a 12;04 pace in 2:26:08. That includes when we slowed for water stations, red lights, etc. Towards the end we definitely sped up and I kept up!

The film The Dirty Dozen has a theme of a bunch of misfits being trained to a common goal: killing Germans. Roadrunners takes people and one misfit, namely me, and trains us for a common goal, the marathon. So, for me this Saturday was The Dirty Dozen, 12 miles!

2 comments:

  1. Hello, Michael!

    I'm happy to hear about your running success! It was one of the most beautiful days I've ever seen in my life. It was one of those days when one feels happy to be alive (at least that's how I felt).

    I'm glad you liked running down the median on San Vicente. I feel differently, though. Too many obstacles for my liking; in fact, one of our runners fell down :-(

    I also bought some BodyGlide yesterday. I've been having problems myself. I'll try it next weekend.

    Have fun this week; see you on Sat. for 13 miles!

    By the way, we don't have Friday the 13th in Mexico; but, we have Tuesday the 13th. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My group had a woman struggling at the end (light-headed); but, we all survived the San Vicente Urban Obstacle Course. It was a good run!

    Yes, half-marathon time!

    ReplyDelete