Monday, November 9, 2009

Weekly Training

One of the things the Roadrunners program strongly urges is training during the week. They are very good about providing detailed information by stage of running, when, and how much to do. (It does get a bit puzzling as it keeps changing!).

I think I can tell on the long runs who is not doing or only partially doing the training. Illness is one thing; but, I think, especially for beginners, you need to be committed and TRULY committed (perhaps to a mental hospital after for even starting ...).

With a new work schedule and some other obligations, it has been a bit of a struggle finding time; but, I have found a general time slot: pre-dawn, as in waking up (more or less) at 04:00. One thing at that time is the sidewalks and roads are much less crowded for some reason.

So, I ran Sunday and Monday ... and am a bit happy as my electronic conscience Garmin 305 says I was fairly consistent with a run of 2.55 miles (with some hillwork) in 30:24 on Sunday and 2.55 miles (with some hillwork) in 30:42 on Monday!

Now, with the course basically set I think it will be a bit more energizing as I can start to picture places. I am glad it will pass the Cathedral of Our Lady Queen of the Angels and may be La Placita as it goes through El Pueblo de Los Angeles. It will go past my old office building in Century City (oh, joy) and more.

This could be fun ...

2 comments:

  1. Yep, a mental hospital sounds right. I've been called CRAZY and MAD for doing the marathon.

    How funny how one of our first landmarks is the Cathedral. Probably a strategy for all of us Catholics out there. I know I'll be asking for assistance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, being a Catholic myself ... I am looking forward to seeing the Cathedral (though it's uphill on Temple). I'm hoping we go past La Placita near Olvera Street as well.

    I know ... friends and family think I am now definitely insane.

    ReplyDelete