Sunday, November 22, 2009

Week 11: The Almost Run

Saturday was another long group run for the LA Roadrunners training program for the Los Angeles Marathon. The weather, while not as perfect as the week before, was still quite nice with a slight breeze, good temperature, and a good dose of sunshine.

I had gotten a surprisingly good night's sleep and felt ready to go. As I prepared for the day, twirling the ideal, I came upon "California Love" by Dr. Dre and Tupac and with its West Coast, West Side, etc. lyrics, it seemed a good sign.

The groups headed out to the Strand early and without even roll call, Group 7 (Lucky 7/Magnificent 7) was on its way.

I felt a little twinge in my knee but nothing serious and the trot towards the Santa Monica Pier felt comfortable and soon it was the climb up the incline.

It was the usual fun conversation with my running partner as the feet kept moving. Then, police car after police car went speeding by along Ocean Avenue (now known as the finish line!). The group advanced and came to the California Incline where the Santa Monica police actually blocked off traffic. This made the crossing to Adelaide much more interesting as cars were apparently being diverted. The waterstop at the Totem Pole sure helped though.

Again, the group passed the wealthy homes of the area with gorgeous views before turning to San Vicente for the San Vicente Urban Obstacle Course! Luck held again as no one in the group, including myself, fell victim to the signs, grates, holes, roots, and other obstacles. Despite the gradient up San Vicente, I felt good. It is also good to know this is a significant part of the actual 2010 marathon route!

Soon, it was time to turn back at 26th and head back from whence the group came. Again, no problems and I relied on some GU Chomps to see me through. Back down passed the still blocked California Incline and the Pier and onto the Strand, I felt good. The group followed the norm and into some Venice sidestreets and back to the starting point. I do think a pace leader cut the route short a bit though as my electronic conscience Garmin 305 said it was 12.96 miles, so agonizingly close to my goal of doing 13.1 miles and completing an unofficial half-marathon. The pace was good at 11:47 and time of 2:34.29. In fact, the high pace was 9:00! Yeah! Also, the group was definitely speeding up later in the run, rather than slowing. A bit amusing was us going through the finish line for the LA Leggers! They were giving their runners MEDALS! I am not sure if they also did 13.1 or what; but, it was interesting.

The senior pace leader said the group is doing very well and running together. He also warned that some are in way too high of groups and will have problems when the pace is increased. I think I am alright as I pass the self-test questions. I hope I am anyways! He also said to feel free to eat at will over Thanksgiving Day! Ah, guilt-free eating and all it took was running and running and running and running.

For me it was an almost run ... almost 13.1, almost 100% no pain ... I just need March 21 to be not almost.

Afterwards, I did have some "workout soreness" in my calves and quadriceps; but, that is a positive in that it means muscles are building.


2 comments:

  1. Hurray!!!

    I'm glad you had a wonderful run!

    Yes, the LA Leggers, I forgot to write about them on my post. They actually did 20 miles on Saturday (I'm following the competition.) I was so excited to see the medals and the finish sign.

    I moved to the Walk/Run Group 1. I'm doing really well right now, but I'm not sure if I'll be ok when the pace picks up and we run 1.30 minutes faster.

    Did you see the eating plan that Matt from New Performance gave us? I don't think I can eat that much food.

    Ok, no more writing. Otherwise, I'll write a book.

    9c

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, his eating plan intimidates me ... 8 meals a day, whey shakes, vitamins I have never heard of ... hijole.

    Oh well, I'm trying to finish, not beat the Kenyans!

    ReplyDelete