Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Gu for You? Gu for me!

This morning was the longest training run for the week, excluding Saturday obviously.

I was up dark and early and headed out, with a new twist. I tried a GU Energy Gel before starting. It was "Espresso Love" flavor. It tasted alright, a bit like honey to me. I am not exactly a frequent visitor to Starbucks and know next to nothing about espresso; but, I thought I would give it a try, especially as the wrapper said it had caffeine. The Roadrunners pace leaders and visiting nutritionist had mentioned the GU as well as caffeine in their talks and advice sessions. They also said it could sometimes upset stomachs; so, I thought I would try it on a relatively short jaunt.

I felt pretty comfortable trotting around the Pico Neighborhood. It is amazing how open it feels without the traffic.

I also did not have any trouble with the GU Energy Gel at all. I am not sure if it had much of an effect energy-wise, though, for a relatively short run. It does seem like it would be a bit sticky trying to keep using them throughout a real long run or the Los Angeles Marathon; but, I will continue experimenting and trying them. I did like my trial of the GU Chomps, which kind of reminded me of a runner's form of Gummibears! I also plan to test the Bloks.

I was also pretty happy that my knee seems to be slowly improving. There are still times of pain; but, it is less often and less severe.

Anyways, I ran 3.78 miles in 46:10, which is not too bad. I added some hillwork as well, which I am being reminded of as I see Temple in downtown Los Angeles as well as thinking about prior trips to Dodger Stadium.

It was also a bit of a reflective run since it is Remembrance Day and Veterans' Day ... Lest We Forget.

1 comment:

  1. I tried three gel brands. So far, I haven't had any problems with them. Some are thicker than others, and much sweeter which get on my nerves.

    I felt a surge of energy one Saturday while trying one of those (will tell you which brand later), but I'm not sure if I got energized from eating the stuff (which had 2X caffeine) or because I was excited to see the Totem Pole (which mean we were half way).

    I have to get more gel. Right now I only have blocks and jelly beans. I'm afraid they'll hurt my sensitive teeth.

    See you Sat. for the big 12!

    ReplyDelete