Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Spanish Word for Today

While I started training for the Los Angeles Marathon this year, I have been working to learn Spanish for a few years now and poco a poco I am making some progress (or pocito a pocito). One step has been to try to learn one new vocabulary word a day. It can be serious, useful, funny, never-to-be-used, slang, anything.

Today I saw an ad on the back of a bus for a Spanish-language music station in Los Angeles and saw a new word, one that seemed quite fitting ... MARATON!

So: YO QUIERO A CORRER UN MARATON.

Maraton is my word for today!

2 comments:

  1. This is hilarious!
    I keep finding the word marathon in trucks and in paper towel packages at the laundry mat. I haven't seen it en español, though.

    Good thinking! They will be lots of Spanish-speaking people on March 21! One never knows when it can be useful.

    ¿Dónde está el baño? for instance (Where is the bathroom?)
    Agua, por favor (Water, please)
    ¡¡¡Bravo; Bravo!!! (cheering at the finish line)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I started with Group 8, some of us WERE conversing in Spanish!

    I saw the ad again ... station 93.9."22 Canciones en Maratones"

    Si, otras palabras:
    ADELANTE! ADELANTE!
    ¿Dónde está el Gatorade?
    ¿Dónde está el fin?
    ¿Dónde estámos?
    ¿Dónde está mi cabeza?

    VAMANOS!

    ReplyDelete