Friday, May 7, 2010

Hazardous Duty

I had my first run this morning since last Saturday's 7.72.

I wanted to run this week; but, first it was a little collection of blood under the skin of my foot bothering me. Then, I somehow picked up a cold. So, no running ... alas.

I was asked to run Friday at a Catholic schools' jog-a-thon. So, I got out my trusty Garmin (duh), my original old Brooks, normal shorts, and then the supplied t-shirt (heavier than normal ...).

It also became warm in Baldwin Park. The whole school above first grade first walked a lap of the course. (The kindergartners had a separate bike lap area).

Then, we started. They had an interesting course running through gaps in buildings and some chokepoints. They also wanted the walkers to stay to the right and the runners to the left.

On the first lap some kids immediately went walking ... others set out on full sprints.

It was hard to run, especially with the really little kids., since I knew colliding with a kid was not going to turn out well ... for them. So, I tried to be really careful. Also, the chokepoints took away momentum. The kids were nice and friendly; but, after lap 1 many walked and they were all over (not just on the right side).

Around lap 4 I was in cruise control and had a kid just stop right in front of me. I slammed on the brakes and something happened in my lower back as it got tight.

I kept going but slowed a bit.

It was still fun and a decent workout.

35:31 of running
10:28 pace
3.39 miles

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations!!!

    I understand. Even "tiny" me was afraid to run into the Pre-K kids... I can just imagine how you felt.

    I'm jealous, though. We got like 10 minutes of running time. So, no PR for me. :(

    Hope your foot and cold get better.

    ReplyDelete