Monday, May 3, 2010

Hmmm ... There is Another Way to Run?

After a long period of rest and hoped for injury recovery, I set out to return to at least medium-distance run with the LA Running Club.

I went to the rally point near the Totem Pole on a very bright, warm Saturday morning with wonderful views of the ocean and beach.

After some welcoming remarks and plans, they asked who was planning for what race, etc. As I am not doing any near-time long races, I was designated "fun run"category. This also led to a solo run.

So, unlike LA Roadrunners where we head north along Ocean Avenue; I headed ... south! It was the tried and true route in reverse.

I got out pretty fast and felt good, going under 10:00 pace for the first two miles, which surprised me for having not run much lately. Soon, it was onto the Santa Monica Pier. When I reached the Casa Del Mar Hotel, I simulated a water stop (I had my own bottle) and slowed down the pace.

I continued on south along the old route, including the tradition of the black cap backwards between Santa Monica Blvd. and ocean park, and crossed into Venice.

I reached Windward and the flag poles and made a second simulated water stop and headed back up to Santa Monica. Because of the recent storms, there was sand deposits on some of the trail.

I climbed up the incline and then the Pier and made it back relatively comfortably.

I stopped, stretched, had some Gatorade, and then thought about some things while overlooking the Pacific Ocean.

I was satisfied with the run. I know I can and should go further and faster; but, for a first time back, it was decent.

1:25.35 of running
7.72 miles
11:05 pace

1 comment: