Friday, April 16, 2010

Motivational Tools

When I was a Servite lad, I had learned many of the dark arts of mental preparation for sports. The teams I was a part of often had a huge advantage as we were mentally stronger than other teams.

The LA Roadrunners had discussed the mental part a bit as well. One of the speakers dealt with motivation and focus for the Los Angeles Marathon, which was good. Still, I felt I needed a bit more being a rookie and having struggled with the 20-Miler.

My first step was shoe selection. I went with the pair that had a nice blood stain from the wet and wild 15-Miler. I wanted the memory of the preparation to be there and always present. All those months of work and training ... I had my reminder.

Next was the caps as I discussed. I had my Roadrunners Group 7 cap; but, I swapped it out in Century City for my black standard. I wanted that little boost of mental energy.

I also added some decorations to my shoes. In track and soccer, I had only had my name on my spikes and boots. I felt I needed a bit more for the marathon ... so, I added in black ink:

- ADW for my uncle
- JWW for my dad who has been facing some health situation
- four Ds ... Desire. Dedication. Discipline. Determination.
- Credo

They were all on the back of the heel; but, I knew they were there.

Any way you can, eh?


I



1 comment:

  1. I wish your dad a prompt recovery. Your dad and your uncle feel very proud of you.

    Thank you for sharing your secrets.

    ReplyDelete