Sunday, April 18, 2010

My Marathon: Part XI

I had crossed the line ... I had run the Los Angeles Marathon.

I was kind of expecting a lightning-bolt moment ... instead, it was kind of, "Hmmm, now what do I do." I did not cry or kneel or anything. I guess I should have done something better.

I knew there was a medal waiting somewhere ... just where? This was different from the 5K i did where people were right there as you crossed.

The woman who had been coordinating the LA Roadrunners practices saw me and the grey shirt and said, "Congratulations." which was nice.

I managed to cross the line functioning; so, no medical care needed. I just started walking. I got the largish heat shield sheet (I need to be warmer? What?).

Then I saw them ... the volunteers with the medals! I walked over and happily received mine around my neck from a nice volunteer woman. I gave a big "THANK YOU!" I had my medal ... I finished (unlike Gordon Ramsay!).

I then saw another Group 7er and Joan the paceleader and we congratulated each other and talked a bit about the race.

I started walking towards the Santa Monica Pier when I saw Danny from Group 7. He was sitting down; so, I went and gave him a big handshake. He got up and we headed down the walkway.

Next came food ... yeah! I received a banana (of course), some more Powerade, some water, a whole bag (!) of bagels, and some nuts as I went down the assembly line-like process.

I now had a handful of food; but, then I saw the photo booth ... so, we both stopped there and had the photo taken with the medal.

Next I saw a friend from Knights of Columbus volunteering with Santa Monica Police Department; so, I had a chat with him. I think he was a tad surprised to see me.

Next came the slow progress and then heading down the Pier. Danny saw a few friends and we all stopped half-way down. I called my parents, a brother and a sister to say I had made it! The last two had gotten worried as the progression emails had stopped half-way through the race.

Eventually, we made it down the hill and want to the Expo. I recollected my kit bag; but, I never did change gear. Danny and I headed to the surprisingly deserted Roadrunners' tent. I am not sure where everyone had gone as it was not like we were hours behind. After some food and relaxation, we both headed around the Expo.

We got a few free samples. Then Danny went to meet his friends to go home ... and after a circuitous route, I headed for Ye Olde Ship.

I had waited a long, long time for this ... I ordered a Boddington's (The Cream of Manchester!) and fish and chips. Yum. Yum. Yum. I thought about my uncle and hoped it had all come true.

After the meal and beer, I started the walk back to St. Anne's. 26.2 miles and ... then walk some more! It was great as around downtown runners with medals and I would exchange "Congratulations!" No time questions. Just mutual respect.

I got back to church and functioning well enough ... it was back to normal: downed an Advil, did paperwork, changing into decent clothes, and then organizing 6 p.m. Mass.

I was now a Marathoner!



3 comments:

  1. YES! I agree with you completely. After crossing that line all I cared about was getting the medal. And since I didn't see anyone with them I began to panic. Then I panicked again when I didn't see anybody passing out the heat sheets. You see, I did this marathon to get two things: the medal and the heat sheet so I could use as a cape. It was a dream of mine.

    You got a whole bag of bagels??? They only gave me ONE bagel... and it was wet.

    I'm glad you got to see your friends at the end of the run. See, you were in good company after all.

    So what did your family say? Were they jumping up and down with joy?

    Mmm... mmm... fish and chips... but not nearly as good as the fried bread.

    Yes, you are now a certified marathoner! Hurray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. I guess that is normal for a marathon; but, I was a bit confused at first on where to go.

    The bagels were weird. My volunteer gave a bag ... the next woman down was giving just one.

    I think they were glad I was not in the hospital/morgue.

    I was also after horchata ... but none to be found :-(

    So, has your father made the Miss GG Marathon Monument yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too; I was very confused.

    I also didn't feel anything "special" when I crossed the finish line. I was too dehydrated to cry, and in too much pain to bend over and kiss the ground.

    My family saw some runners carrying boxes (not just bags) of food. That's right... boxes. And I only got one wet bagel.

    Mmm... horchata. The best. Did they have the Rubio's tacos?

    :-) Dad is working on the monument. He wants copies of the certificates which I haven't printed. So far, he framed the 20-mile certificate, and put the two medals around the frame. What can I say?

    ReplyDelete