Thursday, April 8, 2010

My Marathon: Part V

Once I had decided to try to run the Los Angeles Marathon, I was eagerly anticipating the route, especially with talk of it going from Dodger Stadium to Santa Monica. Being a Dodgers fan, the start interested me and being a Santa Monica resident the end interested me as well.

Obviously, the route came out before the race and I paid close attention to a certain stretch after Beverly Hills. My eyes locked on ... it was going down Santa Monica Boulevard right past my old office, the one where I was told I was being laid off.

I had actually had this part of the race discussed in the article that appeared in the Los Angeles Times.

As I left Beverly Hills, I started to notice the cluster of buildings that is Century City, picking out THE ONE, 1801 Avenue of the Stars.

I kept going and felt good, almost gaining in energy from the defiance against what the mismanagement and dishonesty at Penton Media had done. I was channeling the anger and disgust into a positive. Despite them I was succeeding.

I had been wearing a LA Roadrunners Group 7 hat up until now; but, I had a plan. A book I had read suggested mental tricks and one suggestion seemed a bit odd and cumbersome, carrying a pair of shoes to change into on the way. I had my own idea ... change caps!

I changed from the red and white Group 7 hat to my tried and true all black hat, the one I had worn on every Roadrunners run except the last fun run.

Mentally, it was a boost; symbolically, I was now running for myself. I was going by those who had harmed me severely and I was going to make it and get that medal.

It was a good feeling, a very, very good feeling.

1 comment: