Wednesday, April 7, 2010

My Marathon: Part IV

Reaching Mile 13 was a big moment for me. It meant I was basically at the half-way point yes, I know 13.1 IS midway). It also meant I was beyond the part identified as the hardest by the senior pace leader (up to Mile 9). Personally, it was big as 13 is my lucky number.

I had hoped to avoid a restroom stop the entire race; but, around Mile 10 that seemed unlikely and I mentally promised myself a "reward" of a pitstop at Mile 13. The portable toilets were a short distance beyond the mile marker and I broke right and unfortunately chose the slower moving of the two lines at the two clusters. Still, exiting the plastic cell, I felt a lot more comfortable and also got a big shout from a just arriving fellow LA Roadrunner Group 7er. We exchanged smiles and hand signs and I was off again.

I was also catching some clusters of Group 8 runners and paceleaders. I felt slow; but, seeing some familiar faces and the grey Roadrunners shirts helped.

My knee was feeling better and the little stop seemed to help as well. I just felt better overall. The miles began to come a bit easier. I was able to keep a fairly consistent pace and was still running, even if a tad slower than I wanted.

I also noticed an increase in the quantity of runners off to the side with injuries or pain or exhaustion. (Gordon Ramsay who had been so promoted at the start was done at Mile 15 ... need some Lancashire-type toughness in you, Gordo?) I was thankfully feeling relatively good. No mad dashes for Salon Pas stands. No sudden stops in the road. I was moving.

Soon, I was entering Beverly Hills. It is far from home territory; but, I was familiar with it from driving through and attending a few work events there. I began to recognize some buildings.

One highlight was going down Rodeo Drive. All the really luxurious shops were closed! It was such an odd feeling.

I also passed by a townhouse having an open house. Next to a marathon? I guess with this market you need a break.

It was about now I felt like I could finish. I was not fearing the 20 Mile Marker. I felt reasonably good. I was still moving. I was not in severe pain or discomfort. I was surprised I had survived this intact, even if I was slow as could be. There was still a good distance to go; but, I felt like the mental struggle was being won. The goal seemed plausible.

Plus, I had my fun for Mile 17 coming ...

1 comment:

  1. I must send you the photo with the Mile 13 sign.

    Gosh! You even had time to give yourself a reward. I was too slow; I couldn't afford any rewards.

    :-) El Gordo deserves that for being rude.

    ReplyDelete