Sunday, September 12, 2010

I SEE ROADRUNNERS!

Saturday was a change. I had been heading to the the Totem Pole for LA Running Club meets; now, I was wearing a LA Running Club shirt but headed to Venice.

Why? It was the first day of LA Roadrunners 2010-2011!

So, I was back into the familiar Westminster School parking lot. I had pre-registered and happily took my forms to the Pre-Registered line. I even began seeing a few familiar faces.

Soon enough, I was registered and had my new medium-blue Roadrunners shirt, schedule and binder, and the now mandatory shoe tag. Ready for Round II!

I then walked around a bit talking with a few fellow LARCs and Group 7s.

I then visited the exhibitor displays. Not being much for coffee, I skipped Don Francisco's. I visited the booth for the Halloween 5K at the Westwood VA Center. I am thinking about that race as it means some more work on those hills. KSwiss was there as well, with the unmistakable truck. I then visited some of the charities ... Meals on Wheels, Think Cure!, and LiveStrong. There were others; but, those interested me especially. I even managed to get some free kit and things like a water bottle.

There were some presentations; but, they were basics and for totally new runners. So, I headed back out and chatted some more.

I then remembered I still needed to get my LA Rock 'n' Roll 1/2 Marathon work in; so, I headed out ... to the Strand and Windward! The Roadrunners might not be running; but, I am running.

The schedule was for a 5K on fast pace; so, I set out north towards Santa Monica. Pretty soon, it was obvious this was going to be a mediocre run at best.

I was running along the very familiar trail but somehow I was not focusing well and thus not running well.

I kept trying to pick up speed; but, it was not coming. I was going, but not at the desired rate.

I reached the traditional water stop and turned back to Windward. I kept trying and trying to accelerate; but, there was no results.

It was difficult mentally and becoming difficult physically, for what should have been a very easy run.

Finally, the last .2 miles I managed to get a kick going and managed to get some speed passing the collection of denizens in Venice. Then I reached the flagpoles and called it a run after the frustrations.

38:33 of running

3.43 miles

11:15 pace

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited that you're back for a second round. I can't wait to read your adventures!!!

    ReplyDelete