Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Steaming

Saturday meant another day with the LA Running Club. My schedule for the LA Rock n' Roll 1/2 Marathon called for a mere six miles, just at lactic time (race pace).

It was cloudy at the start, which was a good sign for running.

I headed off south towards the Santa Monica Pier, encountering and partnering with Mitch from LA Roadrunners Run 7 on the way, which always helps.

I was doing decently on the way down Ocean Avenue and felt happy with the faster pace. The descent down the pier went well and the turn on to the more ocean-level portion of the run went smoothly.

We passed the Casa del Mar, crossed the bike path, and continued to make the proverbial run for the border, specifically Venice-Santa Monica.

At the turnaround point, I felt a little soreness at the front of my hip, almost like a small muscle pull. I slowed a bit, took some water, and decided to cut off the faster pace. I was still moving decently; but, now, it was labored.

I kept moving back north and realized how many tourists were now out as the sun began to appear. This added to the problems, with more people to go around. When I reached the pier, the ascent became tricky as I ran into a rather undisciplined LA Leggers group taking one side of the ramp and lot so tourists on the other side. Alas. This slowed me down quite a bit.

I reached the top and headed north again, just not feeling anywhere near full power. I was getting frustrated as it was a short run; but, I was struggling.

I got back to the starting base and happily drank some Gatorade. I noticed I had managed to resume my steaming trick again, with "steam" coming off my shirt, hat and head. Other runners even mentioned it!

All in all, it was frustrating.

1:04.43 of running
6.2 miles
10:45 pace



No comments:

Post a Comment