Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Sunday Long Run

Sunday came and I had some schedule changes which have made it possible to run with the LA Running Club. So, I get LA Roadrunners and LA Running Club opportunities for long runs.

The LA Running Club Sunday event meets at the Totem Pole in Santa Monica, just like the Saturday summer runs.

So, off I went and met the group. The runners tend to be quite good and experienced, unlike me.

Some headed off for trail runs to Inspiration Point. For me, that will be an ongoing project.

I set off with my senior pace leader from last year's LA Roadrunners Group 7. He is recovering from injury and surgery and does his long run on Sunday.

We began with a short walk to warm up and then headed to the Totem Pole to tap it per tradition and then headed towards Adelaide and the nice neighborhood and the ascent of the hill.

Soon, we reached 7th Street and headed to San Vicente, yes the dreaded San Vicente Urban Obstacle Course.

The medians are fun to run and offer the opportunity for a gradual climb heading east and a gradual descent heading west; but, it is now harder. The grass cover seems to have eroded significantly and many more roots were exposed. This made it much harder to concentrate on the running since it required vigilance to avoid the roots. It was very noticeable.

Still, my old SPL and I enjoyed it, running and chatting. We made Bundy and crossed over and began running on the dirt path on the side. Then we began a circuit of the golf course. It was a nice run with different plants and trees than I normally see.

We looped around and made it back to San Vicente to begin the return. It was warm, but not too bad. A procession of Ferraris went by, enlivening the scene.

Soon, I got that happy sight I remembered from March 20: "Ocean dead ahead." We made it back and then crossed Ocean Avenue for the quick trot to the Totem Pole.

After it was time to stretch. We ended up going to Starbucks to refuel.

All in all, I was happy.


1:56.42 of running

9.21 miles

12:40 pace

No comments:

Post a Comment