Sunday, July 25, 2010

Take the Galleon

Saturday means long run day.

This time the weekly email said the target was to go to Galleon, a street down Speedway in Venice. It would be further than I have run since the 2010 LA Marathon (my high has been 8.1 miles).

I was unsure I could even make 8.1 after the abdominal strain and not running Thursday plus prior episodes of trouble.

I reached the rally point for the LA Running Club and started to stretch. During the announcements, those of us running the LA Rock 'n' Roll 1/2 Marathon received a new goal: The Jetty. Hmmm.

So, I set out and headed south and actually felt pretty good. This pleased me! The fear of abdominal pain was departing and some hope was arriving for a change.

I cleared the Santa Monica Pier and kept down to the fancy hotels. No major accomplishment yet as this was the normal course. I crossed the city line from Santa Monica to Venice (always a change in culture with the tourist shops, the marijuana "clinics," etc.). Still, nothing too noteworthy as it was the normal course.

I saw the flagpole at Windward and still felt pretty solid, which surprised me. I turned and headed down the old favorite, Speedway.

Speedway always reminds me of like trying to gain a sneak view of life for the rich and bohemian. Anyways, it is a public street and I can run on it and I have, do, and will do.

I continued on and went past my prior former turnoff point and kept going. It did seem kind of weird running alone in LA Roadrunners territory!

Eventually, I saw the signpost for the original destination, Galleon. I had taken the Galleon! I still felt decent; so, I continued south. The ability to just keep running when I did not expect to be able to was a huge boost.

Soon enough I saw the ivy and the fencing and knew the Jetty was approaching. I felt a relief and headed onwards and reached it and had a little celebration, drinking water.

This run also saw the resumption of mid-run eating, with a whole package of Clif Bar Shot Bloks, black cherry flavor, going down. I had not tried black cherry before; but, no stomach issues and taste was fine.

After my mini-celebration, it was time to head back and I started north reversing course. There were a lot of APLA runners coming towards me for some reason; but, no major problem. My main delay was due to cars on Speedway pulling in and out for parking.

I felt good being able to run, even if slowly, this far considering, and was happy to cross the line back into Santa Monica.

I wondered how it would be on the Ocean Avenue ascent; but, first was the windy part of the beach trail and then the climb up the pier. I felt a burst of energy going up the pier, which was nice and welcome. Then, it was Ocean Avenue. It did not trouble me much at all which was a good sign.

Soon enough, I had crossed the remaining distance and was back at the LARC base. I stretched, downed some pretzels and Gatorade, and chatted a bit. I felt pretty happy considering. Even more encouraging was I ran faster, even thougn it was slow, than I had the cutback week.

I had taken the Galleon!

11.2 miles of running
2:20.11
11:43 pace

1 comment:

  1. This is your longest run since March 21!
    That's practically a 13.1... hurray!

    I'm glad that the muscle didn't bother you. How is your knee, by the way?

    I liked how you had your water celebration. :-)

    ReplyDelete