Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Solo for Sweet 16

Saturday came, and after a few rest days, I was ready to go again. It was time for another LA Running Club session. This time, thankfully, it was cloudy in Santa Monica.

I set out south as usual and felt decent. Shortly into the run after the Santa Monica Pier descent, I encountered a fellow alumnus of LA Roadrunners Run 7; so, we ran together for a few miles which was nice. I always seem to run better when I have a partner or group. We ke[t going and talking a bit beyond the Roadrunners' base at Windward in Venice.

He turned around and headed back; I continued onwards. For whatever reason the weirdness of Venice seemed even more weird than normal.

I continued along Speedway, past the seaside condos and homeless seeking to salvage cans and bottles. I reached the first little jetty and saw airliners taking off from LAX. Water time.

It was on to the tree-lined streets of Marina del Rey past the condos. I still felt decent, which was a relief after Wednesday. I made the turn at the edge of the little bay and began the weaving through the complexes and by the marina loaded with boats and yachts.

I soon reached Mother's Beach and kept going ... now my longest run since the marathon. I went down the little passage that had become so familiar from Roadrunners and went by the Ritz-Carlton. Then I glimpsed the target ... the library. I made the turn to the street and ran by a Sheriff Deputy stopped in the middle of the road. I kept going and made the library. Not bad.

It felt odd as there were no other LARCs/Roadrunners with me. I was alone. There were some other joggers; but, I knew no one. I was not blazing fast; but, I was still running. I think the others had been assigned shorter distances due to different races on their schedule.

I took some more water and headed back north. I was so glad the sun was still hidden behind clouds.

The run back was not too bad. I was hoping for more energy and speed; but, at least I was functioning.

I trotted back and faced growing numbers of tourists once I hit Venice. I also saw a lot of LA Leggers.

As I was crossing the California Incline, I saw the KSwiss truck heading south. Alas. They had been displaying their new merchandise for the LARC. I had been on the long run; so, I had not returned in time. Note to self ... run faster next time.

I was doing alright considering the distance and running alone; but, I wish it had been faster. Close; but, not there yet.

I finally made it back and got the leftover Gatorade and pretzels. Assignment completed.

3:16.14 of running
16.15 miles
12:14 pace

1 comment:

  1. :-) Excellent work!

    I wish I was as committed as you are. I should follow your example.

    ReplyDelete