Thursday, December 10, 2009

100 Days to Go ... But, this was a key day I hope

After a frustrating day at work yesterday, I got up slowly this morning. The thought of a 45-minute-pre-dawn run struck me as not a good idea. It did not sound fun. It definitely did not sound as good as sleep, especially when the first number on the clock is "3."

Still, I staggered up and got ready. I did dawn (bad pun that) a windbreaker again and my eyes opened a little when I heard my unofficial theme song for this whole thing come over the radio.

The LA Roadrunners schedule for training for the Los Angeles Marathon called for 45 minutes at LT (lactic time), the faster race pace. I had struggled a bit Monday; so, this was not sounding good.

I set out under the star-filled, rain-swept sky and headed along the normal route. I got going at a decent pace and my knee soreness slowly edged away thankfully. Then, I decided to throw some extra hills in for fun or because of a tired brain.

I was surprised when I looked at the Garmin 305 electronic conscience and saw I was faster than normal, a lot faster.

I was doing well and surprisingly got in a good solid groove, something I had not felt in a while. I was slowed by some extended traffic lights (did the dreaded jog in circles) which had my pace time soaring; but, even then, I got it to come down while running.

It was such a welcome feeling. I did not feel like I was struggling. I felt like I can manage my knee soreness. I felt like I was running for fun again, instead of "Must do NOW" attitude.

I took in more of the environment. I saw the freighters heading into LAX and wondered what Christmas toys and goodies were on those sleighs. I noticed Christmas decorations. I noticed the surprisingly clean air!

For whatever reason my mental jukebox locked on bagpipe version of "Amazing Grace" as I dodged cracked sidewalks, potholes, etc. Think of it as a really junior varsity, non-popular Nike ad.

I returned home knowing it was time for a warm shower and to get ready for work. I also thought of the line in my all-time favorite film, Chariots of Fire, "When I run, I feel His pleasure."

Time out....46:04 for 4.3 miles and 10:42 pace, INCLUDING the lights. Since the pace soared to 11:55 at one point at a light, I knew I had actually done rather well!

100 Days to Go ... Hopefully, this was a key day in giving me some confidence it can be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment