Sunday, December 20, 2009

Week 15: Now It Gets Interesting

When I was on school sports teams, I was pretty durable physically, never missing a practice, let alone a game or a meet. I would get dinged; but, always onwards.

Now, I'm older and suddenly it is not always that easy. This week my somewhat nagging knee has been bothersome and worse.

Saturday morning I got up not knowing if I could go and if I did how far, how fast, and how well.

I really tried to motivate myself. I played the old "fight songs," was stretching, doing the mental exercises from the past, and began to feel the adrenaline. I decided to give it a go.

I got to the LA Roadrunners' training site and got ready. Group 7 launched fairly quickly. I had a plan of peeling off at the first water station by Casa del Mar Hotel if it was not going to work. The group started off to the north. I soon saw a friend from church walking his dog, someone I see most runs. I was surviving.

We headed onto the Santa Monica Pier, past the gaudy circus tent, and onto Ocean Avenue. Soon, we were at the Totem Pole and I was alright. I made water station #2 and continued up Adelaide and to the now famous San Vicente path. I was staying with the group and doing alright and made the end of the trail and the third water station before starting back towards Ocean Avenue.

I made it onto the southerly approach and felt a little soreness; but, nothing bad, even getting to the Pier. My Garmin 305 electronic conscience was also confirming progress.

Around 4 miles out from the target, I began to feel more soreness. I continued on though as we entered the Strand and the original water station. I was thinking about may be making it to the start point and cutting out for the day.

Still, I kept going and we past the origin and entered Venice. Here, it got challenging. I was starting to limp (or as another runner told me, I had an "asymmetric stride.") I was struggling. I was struggling physically to keep up and go and now a bit mentally.

We cleared the rows of condos in Venice and I was hobbling and dropped back in the group. It was gut check time. I was also fearful of serious injury.

I kept going, slower, but with the group. I was happy at water stations for the break and joyful at the final turnaround.

I was really struggling.

I remembered the old Servite ways and kept on. Somehow I was making it, even though it was step-by-step. I stayed with the group, even if at the end of the line. I was eagerly watching the display for the mileage to tick up .1.

Eventually, we were back on final approach at the Strand, somehow. I kept going and was happy to even make it. Some runners saw the displays hit 16.0 and stopped short. I kept going. Some stopped short by a few stores. I kept going. I made it to the flagpole ... I did it the Servite way ... run to the end. All those practices in rain, the Bowl, Hillcrest, Glover ... they came back when I needed them.

It was tough. It was my worst Roadrunner run. I struggled. I had to fight myself and my body. I made it though. Somehow. I made it!

There is sometimes a fine line between recklessness and courage, between timidity and precaution ... these are difficult boundaries.

I am concerned about my knee; but, I am also proud I lived up to the Servite Code and made it. I hope I can stay with Group 7; but, if I need to drop down, I at least have this gut check run. It was also my longest run ever!

Adelante.

16.32 miles!
11.53 pace
3:14.20

6 comments:

  1. Oh, wow! Like the kids at work say, "You're amazing!!!"

    I'm so happy that you made it! You will be the one to finish the marathon. No doubt about it. I would have quit under those circumstances. I'm in the precaution zone these days.

    Please take care of your knee. You'll need it for March 21. Only 90 days away. Lots of ice and lots of rest, and the knee brace if it helps.

    Congratulations on your longest run ever! There will be more of those to come. Hurray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost forgot... "gaudy circus tent?"
    But... it looks so cheerful. That's one of the highlights of my run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait, there are more longest runs ever ... yikes.

    I think a lot of Roadrunners are in the precaution zone.The SPL said this is the red zone. Some are in the done zone ... we were at 56 Saturday vs. 70 + before.

    Hopefully, it will all get good.

    You will make it too ... then you can go flasdh the medal at school and give them some REAL attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Done Zone? As in quit zone?
    ***
    That is so hilarious! I was laughing so hard that I even got a stomach cramp. ¡Ayyy!

    That hadn't crossed my mind, but it's a great idea! Watch Ms. G act all conceited. I'll even wear a laurel crown for added effect.

    I can just see it now: the kids will love me... the parents will have tears in the eyes... my coworkers will hate me...

    Gracias por la idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not sure how it is with other groups; but, I think #7 lost quite a few between last week and the rain run ... we ahd more Thanksgiving Day weekend! As my normal partner said, the fun and easy part is over; so, we shall see. I know some people are away obviously ... but, trying to make up the really long runs will be hard.

    So, yes, I think Done Zone = Quit Zone.

    Milk it for all it's worth ... have the medal hang so it swings wildly so it "accidentally" taps people to remind them YOU ran it and they did not! Shine it all up and blind people ... like kids used to do with watches. May be enter the classroom to the Rocky theme?

    ReplyDelete
  6. :-) This is too funny.
    I'll definitely blind the kids, and I might use it to smack them if they don't listen. BUT... they might try to take it away from me. Better be careful.

    Now, about the adults...that's a different story.

    Changing subjects, I am NOT in the Done Zone. No way! I cannot do this to my fans and to myself. But yes, things are looking tougher now. Que miedo!

    ReplyDelete