Sunday, December 27, 2009

What to do?

Today was a post-long run day and the LA Roadrunners schedule called for a 30 minute run at aerobic pace (a.k.a. the slow one). The Group 7 senior pace leader last week had even said he thought we could not run at all on Sunday in lieu of resting the legs.

I decided to modify the plan following yesterday's results. I opted to walk ... My knee still had some awkward moments; but, the problems were not like while running. I walked to the Santa Monica Airport area and Clover Park and around for a spell. I was not speedwalking; but, I was also not just edging along the sidewalk.

I managed 53:13 of walking for 2:51 miles and a whopping 21:13 pace. Oops. Still, I felt it better to do something than nothing. A positive was my calves were not sore at all.

I am still not sure about this week; I am edging towards a week of rest and ice packs. It is just so frustrating.

4 comments:

  1. I think it was a good decision on your part . I've been walking a lot myself.

    Jeff Galloway said in his book that when you walk you use a different set of muscles ( I didn't know that.) Maybe if you walk more you'll give the running muscles time to heal.

    He also said that even if you run slower than your normal pace, you do not lose your endurance. That sounds like good news. So... maybe walking or running slower?

    That's what I've been doing lately, and I feel *cough*cough* a little better. I feel like a snail, but at least I'm not in so much pain.

    Please take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your recovery continues!

    It's just a bit frustrating right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roadrunners Syndrome? Well, we've still got time to get right ...

    ReplyDelete