Saturday, December 26, 2009

Week 16: Boxing Day Run

Today was another long run for the LA Roadrunners, just today was different ... there was no LA Roadrunners officially as the school, used as a base was closed.

So, I opted to go for the long run form my parents' house in Orange County. It started later than normal due to an early morning trip to John Wayne Airport.

I set out and felt so-so with my knee and also just a lack of energy from Christmas and all.

I did get in some hillwork and the scenery was a nice change. Not often I see horses or heck houses with decent yards on my Santa Monica runs.

I decided to head down and back some residential streets and then to a larger street towards eastern Anaheim. Upon finding an open gate, I went into Esperanza High School, the nearest public high shcool and looked for their track. I thought the track may be a good option to ease the pounding on my knee.

I found the track and frankly it was in terrible condition as was their field, which was a surprise. Still, I was two miles in and surviving; so, I began going old-school ... laps of the track.

I kept going but I was struggling. I was definitely not on LT target pace; but, felt some miles was better than no miles. So, round and round I went, remembering why I normally do not do track laps unless I am racing! It was so dull, especially as it is not my high school. I tried to think about other things that have been causing issues lately; but, no good today. I did see some aircraft headed into John Wayne Airport; so, that was a welcome change.

I kept going round and round with brief stops for Powerade (yeah!) and back at it until hitting 6.6 miles. I then began heading for my parents' house, which meant even more hillwork, passing a tractor on a strawberrry patch and other odd sights.

I got home ... knee was sore, time was bad; but, I made it. I did not make the target time; but, I did make the miles at least. I also got concerned about the battle damage and am thinking I may need a break this week.

I ran for 1:33 for 8:08 miles at 11:35 pace vs. my target of 10:30; so, disappointing to say the least.

I will have to see how it goes this week, if I do go and not rest my knee. May be I will go back to Group 8? At least next week is a mere five miles; so, I think I can manage. I guess the frustration is I am really trying and right now the results are not as good as I want. It is still better than I could do in May; but, hobbling around is a bit demoralizing.

3 comments:

  1. It was tough run, wasn't it? It seems like the festivities took a toll on us. Maybe we ate too much.

    Don't feel bad about your timing. If it's any consolation, your time was much better than mine!!! My pace was 15 minutes. Fifteen!

    It's funny. You saw a horse on your run, and I saw a cow. Mine was fake, though.

    Keep up the good spirits! After all, you got to run in Esperanza HS. Esperanza=Hope. There's still hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think post-Christmas plus not with the group made it a hard one.

    On the other hand, Esperanza are the Aztecs ... they sacrificed a lot of people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well... uh! Just pretend it was propaganda created by the Spanish to discredit the Aztecs. Sacrifices? Us? Please...

    The good news: did you know that the Aztecs were excellent runners? Relay runners would bring fresh fish to Emperor Moctezuma on a daily basis. Altogether they would run 250 miles; from the Atlantic Ocean to the beautiful city of Tenochtitlan aka Mexico City-- my city. That means, I have Aztec runner's blood! (tears forming in my eyes)

    My HS's mascot was a centaur... now that's boring!

    ReplyDelete