Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Is Back to the Future?

In my former running life, I was considered a sprinter/middle-distance/long-distance (in those days long distance meant ... TWO whole miles) runner. I literally ran every non-hurdle running event there was from the 110 to the two miles. So, I became used to sprinting and then longer sprints. I still very much have it inside me; so, I was pretty excited to see the track option appear on the LA Roadrunners schedule. I want to finish the Los Angeles Marathon, definitely; but, a little sprinting fun helps! I was thinking finally I can really use all that track practice in this training. Then I saw the pace ... not sprinting, at least not my sprinting.

Due to schedule and commute, I do not really have access to a track at 4 a.m.; so, I did the next bets thing, a small very quiet road near Santa Monica Airport which is mostly straight but has some turns. So, I headed down under the nice post-rain, star-filled sky.

I set out and kind-of, sort-of turned on the power. It was definitely not like the old days and the long-distance running style where you are not using the balls of your feet slows me down (or seems to at least in my head). I had a windbreaker on as well; this was something I had NEVER done in sprinting. I had brought it as I know sweat plus colder air is not a good mix.

Anyways, Run 1 ... .23 miles in 2.00 minutes at 8:37 pace. A bit longer and rather faster than 300m at 9:30 pace. I decided to keep the distance to see how I would fare and just adjust. They said to go on a minute's rest; so, ...
Run 2: 1.53 minutes for .23 miles at 8:35 pace. Oops. Still, too fast. (It seems crazy to be trying to sue the Garmin to pace yourself on such a short trot).
Run 3: 2.08 minutes for .23 miles at 9:08 pace. Better (?). My knee was showing a little soreness as well.
Run 4: 2.07 minutes for .23 miles for 9:14 pace.
Run 5: 2.06 minutes for .23 miles for 9:13 pace. So, a bit consistent.
Run 6: 2.05 minutes for .24 miles for 8:48 pace. Oops.
Run 7 : 2.10 minutes for .23 miles for 9:26 pace. At this point I was wondering is this good or bad as the paces vary, etc. and also this was slow. Plus, I wanted a little fun ...
Run 8: 1.47 minutes for .24 miles for 7:37 pace. That was a bit of fun, though still it felt far short of maximum power. Heck, in high school days, that would have been disastrous .... that was FAR slower than what I would do miles and two miles in.

Anyways, I made it through the runs feeling a bit better than on Monday, though still with a dinged up knee.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That's fast. I was doing .25 miles in about 3 minutes (but I was walking 1/2 of it, though... well, I get tired you know)

    Have you gotten used to running "marathon style"? It must be uncomfortable at first. During the 14 miles run I saw a guy running like a sprinter--the whole distance. It looked painful.

    So what was your speed when you were in high school? Probably one minute.

    Memories... that reminds me, back in middle school I would win the one mile competition. I was faster than the guys! Hahahahaha! These days... it's a different story, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thing is I KNOW I can go faster ... just don't know the speed/distance ratio yet for me. I did a 5K at 8:20 pace and had plenty in the tank.

    It is so different from a 400 or 800 ... there, it's GO HARD NOW ... no eating in the race, no nothing ...

    Yes, the form is still in progress. I revert to the dark sciences on certain things (turns, curves, hills, etc.). I don't think I could go sprinter for 14 miles. Group 7 had a racewalker with us last week! It was insane.

    Speed for a 400? 50-52 seconds normally. Ironically, I loved the extreme weather: hot or mud. I also loved the relays ...

    Sounds like that Springsteen "Glory Days" song should be playing ... :-(

    ReplyDelete