Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Go Speed Racer?

The teens at church last year were talking about some Speed Racer movie; somehow that got in my head this morning as I headed out dark and even earlier than normal for some "speedplay" as the LA Roadrunners call it. I can not get to a proper track; so, I use an improvised path down a very quiet street by Santa Monica Airport for 8 x 500m.

My knee was a bit tender on the walk over; so, I felt a bit nervous. I also had a windbreaker on due to the weather, which was a bit windy.

I got to the start and took off on one run and actually felt a bit unsure with the knee. It was also a bit odd as there was no headwind or tailwind; it seemed to be swirling! It was a weird feeling having wind coming in multiple directions. My time was decent; but, a bit off the target of 9:30.

I kept going and began feeling a bit better knee-wise; but, I also felt a bit dehydrated for some reason. I think one ongoing issue is I have to run early; so, I am not eating and drinking much prior to the mid-week work versus the long runs Saturday when I have eaten breakfast and filled the water tank.

I like the speedplay and the semi-sprinting; but, I still need to get consistent. With these runs I can not yet "sense" speed and I am not doing the goal of being within five second each time.

Still, they went pretty well and knee held up for another day.

#1 2:13 for .25 miles for 8:53 pace
#2 2:12 for .26 miles for 8:31 pace
#3 2:12 for .26 miles for 8:39 pace
#4 2:22 for .27 miles for 8:57 pace
#5 2:20 for .26 miles for 9:01 pace
#6 2:30 for .27 miles for 9:11 pace
#7 2:17 for .26 miles for 8:47 pace
#8 2:20 for .26 miles for 8:50 pace

Not quite a model of consistency; but, they are faster than I thought I could do on the way. Right now, I will settle for it.

On a side note, the Santa Monica page for Facebook was promoting some events coming soon ... one was something called "The Los Angeles Marathon." Sounds familiar for some reason ... Wonder if I should "Like" it?

2 comments:

  1. I've been wondering if you eat anything before your morning runs.
    I haven't been eating before I go out in the morning runs. I'm too lazy to get up earlier to get a snack.

    Don't forget to drink plenty of water, though. It is of extreme importance.

    Do you run on 23th street next to the airport, or on Airport St? Airport St is dark.

    Yes, give it a Like vote!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is kind of a bad choice of getting needed sleep or getting needed energy ... I usually go for sleep and eat afterwards.

    I actually go for Donald Douglas Loop (northern one). It is quiet, dark, but quiet.

    ReplyDelete