Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Success in Failure?

Today was the first time since I have started that I failed to run the complete scheduled run in the LA Roadrunners plan for training for the Los Angeles Marathon.

It was a disappointment. I really wanted to do it.

My knee had been bothering me a lot on Wednesday. I put an ice pack on Wednesday night for sleeptime.

Waking up dark and early, I debated whether to go back to sleep and rest, try it or just go for a walk.

I opted for "B" and added a new knee brace as a fashion item, though the windbreaker was relegated.

I set out and felt some soreness and limits on movement. I quickly decided that the planned 45 minutes at LT pace (10:30) was not viable. Still, I headed east and started up and down two hilly streets. I was managing to run, just not that fast or comfortably.

I decided to just switch to a "let's see what is doable" mode. I opted for one of the normal, medium-range run courses which added another hill. I was coping, not thriving, but coping.

I also found that slowly my leg felt better or perhaps "less bad." Eventually, I was hitting aerobic pace at least for Group 7 and even getting a tad faster (under 12:00).

I hit Santa Monica Airport and turned for home. I found I was sensing a bit more power and far less gimpiness as I kept going.

I made it home ...

41:03 at overall 13.24 pace for 3.06 miles. Easily, my worst performance statistics wise. (If this was statistics class, I am hoping this is the outlier!). Still, I am kind of happy I could run at all and know I have hope if I can just get in motion.

I am not sure how Saturday will go. It is scheduled for 16 miles. I may try to tough it out to the first water station and then hope the apparent normal "now it's better" mode sets in and I can go for it. Also, the week after is faster LT pace; so, that will be a huge test. Right now, I am away in the mountains January 8-10 with the teenagers from church; so, that might be an injury break weekend.

I am praying this is not serious. It has lingered since August; but, I thought it was getting better ... I do not want to think about not making the marathon. I just do not want to even consider the possibility. May be I will have to walk; but, I feel I HAVE to do it somehow, someway.

We shall see ... definitely St. Michael Defend Us In Day of Battle time.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about your knee. I didn't know it was that bad.
    Rest a lot, and take it easy this Saturday.

    Most of all stay cheerful. You can do it!
    Hey, if we have to walk the marathon, I'll race you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems better today ... so, hoping I can pull it off tomorrow. Will try at least. It's not 100% ... but, realistically I doubt most runners can be 100% and really train!

    Adelante. Adelante.

    ReplyDelete