Saturday, December 5, 2009

Week 13: Lucky 7 Goes 7 in My Lucky 13

It was another cutback week for the LA Roadrunners.

This week was a lot different with totally overcast sky and a lot fewer people, perhaps due to it being a mere seven miles?

Anyways, Running Group Lucky 7 (Magnificent 7) was soon off and headed north to California following the usual Santa Monica Pier departure route. I felt fine, which was a relief after a meal of turkey, potatoes, and champurrado at Knights of Columbus Christmas party the night prior! My running partner came quite late; but, it was alright and we went back to the caboose position prior to the group starting. Lots of Tiger Woods jokes and comments could be heard. Despite not much sleep due to neighbors being loud at 3 a.m. - 4:30 a.m., I was still alright, and happy with Servite's playoff win!

Due to the short route, we turned back at California and headed back and into Venice. It seemed quite a short run, even if seven miles was unthinkable in April. My knee did act up a bit after the second water station; I think I need to keep moving!

Since it was no one's longest run, there was not exactly the sense of accomplishment and the group acted normally (my old Group 8 had a big group outing to go eat breakfast this morning ...)

Still, it was good, even with a dodgy knee. The motivational speaker helped me a lot. She made a lot of good points, even though she is not a runner, for marathoners. It has been a harsh year for me and this may have been a big help to refocus. I have been doing this for a lot of reasons and will be reflecting on them a lot tonight. Also, interestingly, she mentioned God ... frequently! In marathon training? Who would have thought it?

Anyways, I am glad I did the run. Another day closer, Diosmediante, to the Los Angeles Marathon ....

Time of 1:25.34 for 7.19 miles at 11:54 pace!

1 comment:

  1. Hurray on another successful week!

    Sorry about your dodgy knee, though; I hope you feel better. (First time I've heard the word dodgy; new vocabulary for me)

    I have a dodgy knee myself. I might even have a Baker's cyst, but that's another story.

    I'm glad that you enjoyed the motivational speaker. I didn't stay because I was freezing. I did pop my head in there when you guys were conducting a meditation exercise (at least that's what it looked like).

    Meditation and breathing are good because they quiet the mind. Mindfulness exercises and yoga help too. I do them once in a while and I feel much better.

    I'm truly sorry about having a tough year. 2010 will be much, much better, you'll see.

    About God been present during marathon training... definitely! How do you think I was able to complete 14 miles and still have energy to get back home? I almost kicked the bucket, but I made it home safely... all by my little self.

    ReplyDelete