Tuesday, December 29, 2009

It Is Better to Give Than Receive

The last few weeks I have been more on the receiving end of running, as in receiving pain and worry about my knee. It has been neither fun nor inspiring; so, I have decided to try and make a positive.

In earlier Roadrunner training weeks, they had some presentations by charities and being involved in the dreaded and much feared "church stuff" I know of MANY, MANY, MANY more causes and problems. So, I decided to combine the two and build on what the Roadrunners had mentioned as a possible motivational force to run the Los Angeles Marathon.

Realistically, I am not sure I can raise some of the large sums some of the groups, worthy as they are, were seeking. I also wanted some sort of personal ties; if I am going to be pounding cement for 26.2 miles, I want it to also matter to me!

I also know there are literally thousands of worthy causes and it is hard to say which is best or to say well, Heifer International or Catholic Relief Services are less worthy than a local group for example. I decided to come up with three options.

1) ThinkCure! This is a charity championed by my beloved Los Angeles Dodgers which works to support cancer research in the Los Angeles area. I even got to make a page!
http://www.firstgiving.com/michaelward

2) St. Anne Church and Shrine Youth Program and CCD in Santa Monica: I do a LOT of volunteer work there and we are working to raise money to get a Powerpoint projector and a computer so we can make better presentations for the kids and teens.

3) St. John the Baptist Church Social Services which works to help the poor and struggling in Baldwin Park and the region. http://sjbsocialservices.blogspot.com/

Anyways, if anyone wants to sponsor a quixotic effort at running the Los Angeles Marathon 2010, it would be greatly welcome and appreciated. I think all three of these causes are worthy and they will be on my mind March 21.

1 comment:

  1. It's great that you're doing this!!!

    Some of the books I've read have stated the benefits of joining a cause as you train and then run a marathon. Good for you!

    Maybe I should do something like this, but I'm bad at raising money. Too shy.

    Good luck on your effort.

    ReplyDelete