Monday, December 7, 2009

Upping the Ante

I am becoming more and more convinced that with the LA Roadrunners and marathon training running it is indeed all or nothing. I always kind of had that attitude when I played sports in school; but, now, I have seen other groups lose people in the middle of runs (our pace leaders for Lucky 7 say they are pleased we all go out together and come back together).

So, this morning, I awoke to darkness as usual and rain as unusual. I decided that this was one of those test days, especially as the ante was being upped: longer minutes and faster pace, plus a bit of a sore knee. Anyways, I decided what the heck ... vamonos!

So, I set out with the addition of a Raiders little windbreaker to the normal gear. I had won it at a Super Bowl party a few years ago and finally have some reason to use it ... they had even won Sunday somehow and even my dislike for them could not counter its utility.

I started out decently and got to my faster pace pretty well.

I then found myself losing the new faster target pace as numerous stoplights, problems with sidewalks, etc. required a lot of stop-and-go running which made it hard to lock on to the speed. I also started thinking about the slick sidewalks as on Saturday a pace leader fell on a little bit of standing water on a dry day! So, visions of going facefirst onto cement at 4:30 a.m. were soon in my head. My knee also twinged a little.

I guess it was a so-so run. I am trying to evaluate it. I did 11:09 pace (faster by a lot over the aerobic pace goals; but, slower than 10:30 I wanted) for 4.15 miles in 46:16. My knee also gave me a little concern. So, those were the negatives. The positives were I ran pretty well considering the knee and the weather conditions as well as first time in a long time at faster pace (September!). I hope to get to the faster pace as soon as possible obviously; but, still some positive signs among the need to be improved signs. I hope when the group goes to the faster pace in a few weeks I will be alright. I am also pleased a bit that on a day when it would have been easy to make excuses and not go ... I did.

So, I hope things will get better and improve. I'm trying ... At least running in the rain is fun!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! It's amazing to read about your adventures. If running at 4 am is not enough, now you're running in the rain (I'm shivering just thinking about it) I need to follow your example, and not make excuses.

    I've been wondering, despite running in the cold and the rain you never get sick. You must have an excellent immune system. Is it your genes? A special diet? Vitamins perhaps? Please do share. We weaklings get sick often.

    How is your pace leader? I hope it wasn't anything serious. Careful while running in the rain, though.

    Have fun this Sat. Seventy percent chance of rain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola,

    I think I am just reverting to the old Servite way: we went out for practice in ANY weather: 100+F, rain, anything.

    I think i am just lucky and built that way. I take a multi-vitamin; but, I am nowhere near the nutrionist guy's ideal of 87 vitamins a day, 9 meals a day, etc.

    She is alright. More pride than anything! Group 7 is taking a beating pace leader-wise. SPL out with some medical condition (great guy). Another PL is out with banged up foot. Bloody dangerous work.

    Yes ... prepare for rain. All I need is a soccer ball ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your school was tough. My school was benevolent... Ok, maybe not. They made us do a dance routine. That was awful.

    Thank you for the information. I bought some multi-vitamins two weeks ago; the problem is remembering to take them.

    I once had a friend from England, "Brother Nick." He used to say bloody a lot, too. That's funny.

    Speaking of bloody, today's Spanish word: sangrĂ³n (sangrona -fem.) -- literal translation: bloody; according to WordRerence.com: annoying, nuisance

    ReplyDelete