Thursday, February 18, 2010

At Least It Was Fun

Thursday has come and that means a short night and back at it to keep the LA Roadrunners schedule.

So, I set out for an hour of fun and run and hills and test of wills. I headed out on a slightly different route and within 1/4 of a mile really started coughing badly; it was not fun.

It was pretty harsh for a few minutes; but, I went with the keep at it approach. I hope this is kind of the last fit of this and am quite glad Saturday is a modest 10 miles. (Wow, it seems so weird writing that!).

My knee actually felt pretty good which was a nice surprise. I thought it might be bad since it got little rest after the intervals Wednesday night. Any progress is welcome and this was very welcome.

I slowed down off my start and just decided to try and enjoy the pre-dawn for a change. It is amazing how quiet it is (well, normally ... Wednesday morning I was awakened when somewhat had their car play tag with a fire hydrant a mile away). Little traffic. Little noise. It is a peaceful respite (I do confess to a lingering fear of encountering another dog though).

There were no stars this morning as it was a bit foggy, kind of how I felt.

I ran towards Los Angeles and included some hills and felt pretty well. One thing with my knee is I am not powering up my legs as high as I would like. I reached the turnaround and headed back into Santa Monica.

My coughing did lessen significantly as I continued which was also welcome.

I went around Santa Monica Airport and the environs and headed home.

I arrived back and for once was not overly anxious about not making the goal. I had pretty much enjoyed the run and not having a bad knee helped a lot, even if it was a slow pace.

I do think getting a sense of fun and enjoyment probably helped long-term more than if Ihad done some draconian push for faster, faster, faster ....

1:00.08 of running
4.64 miles
12:56 pace

3 comments:

  1. Hurray!!! I'm so happy that you enjoyed the run despite the cough episode. See, I tell you that having fun is not so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I better be careful ... fun could be addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It can be, but at least it's something positive.

    ReplyDelete