Thursday, February 11, 2010

Intervals of ... I don't know.

Wednesday night was another episode of LA Roadrunners training. This time it was another round of intervals, four at 9:00 with 1:00 at slower speed between sessions.

Again, I chose to use Clover Park as a semi-circuit; so, I got a warm-up walk in on the way. I also opted to wear a heavier windbreaker based on cough.

I set out on the first one and had coughing bout about half-way through. All in all it went decently though. It was not as fast as prior weeks; but, I was surviving.

Session II came and I was soon having to dodge dog leashes as well as the coughing. This one did not go so well. My knee also was a bit sore.

Session III ... poor. I came out as they say in football "flat." My calves were suddenly sore. My knee still was. My time was awful compared to what I know I can do. I really struggled at the end. On the othe rhand, I did get the steaming head effect to start!

I was thinking of calling time for this run. I was tired and sore and a bit drained mentally from a lot of other things outside of running.

For some reason I was not getting focused well, with the coughing not helping.

I decided to finish the run with the fourth and final scheduled trot. I guess I am so desperate to make sure I finish the Los Angeles Marathon. Plus, a generous person made a large donation to my ThinkCure! page; so, I feel like I need to do whatever I can to make sure I finish now.

So, Round IV came and off I went. I was not near 100% at all; but, I did get significantly better. The weird thing is I felt fast even though my time was not! I made it to the time mark and felt a bit better.

I do think the windbreaker hurt. It felt bulky and heavy and seemed to keep the sweat in making the shirt seem wet, which was not pleasant. My shoes do seem a bit more comfortable though as they continue the breaking-in process (this time it was the non-bloody pair).

I headed home a bit demoralized. I so want to feel faster and do better; but, right now, the physical is not responsing to the mental urges. I am trying to do the runs as well as I can; but, the results lately have been off the goal. I am hoping this is just a temporary glitch and soon the slump will end and also my knee will begin improving again and coughing will go.

#1 9:04 of running; .95 miles; 9:32 pace (not bad)
#2 9:05 of running; .92 miles; 10:08 pace (doh)
#3 9:05 of running; .89 miles; 10:24 pace (doh to the third power)
#4 9:07 of running; .96 miles; 9:59 pace (well, broke 10:00 at least)

2 comments:

  1. Mmm... that cough again. Please ask your Mexican friends for some homemade remedies. One recipe is to warm some milk; add honey and butter (not too much) and drink. It's suppose to help with the cough. (I cannot attest to its effectiveness, though; but I promise it won't kill you.)

    Mr. M, all of us are so desperate to finish this thing. If I don't I will be the laughing stock of a lot of people. Plus, there's this slogan circulating above my head that I never finish things I've started. We're all scared, BUT the RRs have a 99% success rate so there!

    I'm sure that rich person that you talk about doesn't want you to get hurt completing this marathon. I think he/she wants you to have fun. If it's not fun, then what's the point?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have to try that ...

    You will finish it. You weresmart getting the experience at the 13.1 of a big race. I think most of those in Roadrunners now will finish. The ones in trouble will be like the 30 who are no longer showing up in 7 ... I don't see how you can make up these long runs routinely.

    I think fun would be nice; but, I think I signed on initially just for the challenge and needing to acocomplish something that not everyone can. Now, if we can have some fun ....

    ReplyDelete