Friday, February 12, 2010

A Bit Better

Since I have been in a slump lately, I decided Thursday's run would be different ... it would still be in the dark, just in the p.m. vs. the a.m.

The LA Roadrunners schedule marked out 60 minutes; so, off I went. The added feature vs. the early run this week was hills.

So, I set out on Route M1. Last time I did M1 with hills, I did each hill twice; this time I wanted to feel some success .. so just once. I got out decently but the knee was sore fairly soon.

I made it up and down some hills, dodging far more traffic than at 4 a.m.! Fortunately, I do not think we need to dodge cars during the Los Angeles Marathon.

I ran into Los Angeles and then back into Santa Monica and headed towards the airport and then to Clover Park. Since it was p.m. time I could run in the park without risking problems from park rangers. It was also fairly clear; so, the view southwards was nice.

I was doing decently; but, about 40 minutes in my calves really began to ache. Not a good feeling. I kept going and finished the 60 minutes.

It is a bit disheartening to be seeming to get worse rather than better. On the other hand, my coughing was less and time was decent, though not what I wanted. I guess some progress is better than no progress.

It was also a test as I was sacrificing the opportunity of having my beloved, though horrible this year, Edmonton Oilers beat the Los Angeles Kings! I got home for last half of the third period, overtime, and the shootout ... LET'S GO OILERS!

I am hoping I can do a lot better Saturday; but, if I need to drop back and hang out with my old Group 8 ...

1:02.53 of running
5.45 miles
11:23 pace (slow; but, better than the other debacles this week!)

2 comments:

  1. Are you kidding? That was a great run!!! Hurray!

    You'll do fine this Sat. But please, don't overdo it, pleaseeeee!

    Goodness, you like a lot of sports: futbol, hockey, baseball... qué mas?

    (I was supposed to go to a Kings game about 4 weeks ago, but I was later replaced by someone else. How rude!)

    Have a fun run tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me gusta futbol, beisbol, ice hockey, rugby, corriendo y cricket (de Inglaterra). Bacloncesto no mucho ... o concursos de caros o cartainmente golf o caballos o ...

    Side note,. I like how Roadrunners uses ATHLETES to describe us lot :-)

    Aw. Hockey is much better to see live than on TV.

    ReplyDelete