Saturday, February 6, 2010

Week 22: Blood and Guts Time

Today was another long run day for the LA Roadrunners. They have been saying be prepared for anything come the day of the Los Angeles Marathon; so, we run all weather (save for lightning). Today was one of those days ...

Another large storm is passing through So Cal and while pleasant-sounding the sound of the falling rain kept me awake for portions of the night. It also made the drive a bit more interesting with new potholes! I did bring my handy, Roadrunner-suggested trash bag.

The rain got me wet early on; but, I kind of like the feeling. It reminds me of the Servite days with pratices and games in the rain.

My group rallied as usual. We were missing a lot of the regulars though, including my partner who had gone off to Hawaii. (Our SPL later said they normally have 800-850 total runners; today was 552!).

The group set out in the rain north as usual. I saw my friend from church who again as usual declined to join us. This is where we got to play live-action Frogger! I thought of the old video game where you try to keep the frog from falling in the water ... this time there were semi-lakes where we usually run. So, we crossed into the bicycle paths (remarkably abandoned today). We were skipping and dodging puddles, lakes, rivers ... Still, inevitably, I got wet and wet fast.

We headed towards the Casa del Mar hotel water station and then in a new feature went under the Santa Monica Pier. We kept going north past the beach houses, all the while dodging puddles and such. It actually got sunny for a spell and I took off my jacket (I never did resort to the trash bag!).

On the way back to the start, it was nice: a bit sunny, but not warm. We crossed the threshold on Windward and headed south ... but the diversions began due to flooding and street closures. It also started to rain again! On the other hand, the surf was high and impressive (even if there is no chance in france that I would go anywhere near that water after a storm; you talk about health risks!).

We headed into Venice and then Marina del Rey. The boats were still there. There were still lots of puddles and debris. Mother's Beach had huge lines of erosion from water streams. We made it through the single-file passage by the Ritz-Carlton and onwards.

My knee was off and on sore. At the start it was really bad. Later, it got more numb soreness. Around the hotel I felt a strange sensation in my right foot; but, could not figure it out and kept going. It was here I also pulled off my latest partner kill ... he was gone!

We made it to the Library water station and our senior pace leader, Alan, was happy to see us. He reminds me of a high school coach; he seems gruff and tough ... but he cares a lot for us. Breaking out of here, a Group 7 tradition continued ... the front took off before we in the back had even gotten water and Gatorade, It is a lot of sprinting; I rather enjoy it, but one of the paceleaders was not amused.

We kept going. I saw my latest partner victim; he asked about the turnaround and was following us, just behind.

As we made it up Pacific in Venice, unusually for Group 7, line discipline was bad. Single-file was ordered; but, the front was ragged and the back pace leader was off playing sheepdog a few times. I also managed to get my jacket on and off as rain permitted.

Eventually, we made it back to the start; but, they had us go straight to the school and not stretch for fear of chills. I went and changed my shirt (Servite shirt time), shoes, socks, and cap. I was pretty drenched; but, I was happy as I had done 14 miles in the rain on a bad knee.

It was when I took off my right sock I finally noticed ... an odd pink blotch. Well, it seems the odd pink blotch was also on top of my shoe. I at last found out what it was ... a nail had chipped and peeled away along the side. It had bled ... a lot. It is just the rain had washed it out and me being out of it or in "Mind over matter; if you do not mind the pain, it does not matter"-mode had not even noticed!

I met a woman who had been trying out with Group 7 but dropped off; she said the pace had been too fast and the starts from the water station had just pounded her (she was another one in the back).

The things that happen ...

After the requisite banana and Gatorade, I listened to a nutrition lecture which was a bit confusing and overwhelming. I am just trying to do my best; but, I did learn a few things.

I also spoke a bit with the senior pace leader. He said days like today are separating who will make it and who will not; I want to be one who will.

Anyways, Group 7 pulled off ...

14.05 miles
2:31.05 of running
10:46 pace including water stations

2 comments:

  1. Hurray!!!! You did it!!! I'm really happy that you are doing well.

    How is your nail? I can't believe that happened.
    There's this ultra runner who had his nails surgically removed because they kept falling off. :-) Or my former running partner, her nails turned black on her first or second run. :-)

    Your SPL is Alan? Isn't he a REALLY tall guy? Like 7 ft or something?

    Anyhow, congratulations on completing another week! If you passed this test despite the rain, the nails and the knee, then you will be one of those who make it!!! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, survived! :-)

    It is like the tip and then the side all left ... and apparently bled a lot.

    Alan is our SPL; he is not really tall though. He is on the disabled list; so, he mans a water station. Hes like 65.

    Í hope we all make it. :-)

    ReplyDelete