Monday, February 8, 2010

Not So Super Sunday

Sunday was not only the day for the Super Bowl, it was another training day for the LA Roadrunners. This time a 30-minute shakedown run following the 14 mile excursion Saturday.

I was a bit pleased that it was not raining, despite the forecast; I like the rain and all, but it does make running in the pre-dawn harder.

I set out and headed past a 24-hour doughnut shop where a few patrons were getting an early start on the non-healthy food for the day. Somehow doughnuts did not make the training manual.

My calves and quads quickly felt heavy yet again. I may need to eat more protein (well, the nutritionist speaker the day before had said protein helps with muscle recovery). Also, the damaged nail/toe was a bit dodgy. This all led to me slowing right down unfortunately.

I did my time (geez, it makes running seem like prison); but, I was not running well. I was just in survival mode again.

I did make it home; but, I did not have fun and started thinking of ways to make this better. Then, soon I was facing a class of CCD kids ... at which point I wished I was running! Still, not quite the image that will grace a cover of a running magazine.

13:58 pace ... ugh
2.28 miles
31:54

3 comments:

  1. At least you went out to train.

    My excuse for not doing anything on Sunday was "I'm too sore." What if I'm sore on March 21? Does that mean I won't want to move a finger on that day?

    You on the other hand never miss a day of training. As a result, you'll do great on March 21. (That date is giving me nightmares now.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the schedule basically has us doing hardly any training the week before the race; so, you will be feeling fresh and ready to go.

    I think the schedule they give us is built for being sore/injured. The flow charts say have you completed 80% of the midweek runs (not 100%)? Also, they claim you can train to run for a marathon in 30 and 90 days ... but, those require basically everythign going perfectly ... and that always happens right?

    ReplyDelete