Sunday, February 14, 2010

Week 23: Almost Sweet 16

Saturday meant another long run for the LA Roadrunners to help get everyone prepared for the Los Angeles Marathon.

I was a bit anxious about how it would go considering last week's mid-week training.

It was a very nice morning , bright and sunny once dawn arrived ... and also a tad warm. The scenes along the beach were postcard-like.

Then reality hit; my partner killing skills worked their charms again. My usual partner had returned from a trip to Hawaii. He mentioned his back was hurting and he had sought treatment. He may have a vertebrate issue and is not sure if he will be able to run the marathon. When he heard the plan for the day's run, he was gone. So, I had a new partner; he is a nice guy and in the Naval Reserve.

Group 7 got going and we headed north. I passed my friend from church as usual. This week, the trails were amazingly totally dry! There were some remnants of sand from the storms; but, it was surprisingly clear.

My knee felt decent, surprisingly. I was happy! I did struggle a bit trying to get my knees high on the climb up the Santa Monica Pier; but, no problems on the ascent up Ocean Avenue.

The temperature was definitely warmer than before; my shirt soon got its traditional sweatbath.We were soon on Adelaide seeing the posh homes and canyon views. It was the first time in like a month we had been this far north.

Next, of course, was the San Vicente Urban Obstacle Course. It was a little hard; but, I did pretty well. I coughed every now and then; but, it was much better than during the week.

Soon enough we reached the end of Santa Monica and the time to turnaround to heads back south. It was nice heading downhill. The views were also nice looking over the sea and the beach. It was definitely warm though. I was thinking how it will feel March 21 being there knowing the end is nigh.

It was back down the pier and into the stretch of south Santa Monica. The water stations were getting a lot more attention and interest this week. I was hanging with my group, which was a good sign. When they had Gatorade, I took that over the water to try and get the extra ingredients.

As we reached the start point, I achieved a new feat. I looked left and realized ... partner #2 for the day was gone! He had dropped back at the flagpole. Oops. 12 miles in the books.

We continued south into Venice. As we hit a water station, we kept our Group 7 tradition of confusion as we did a circle as some thought it was the turnaround point. It was also only because a pace leader had called out that the others had turned to get us the water! It was then back to head towards the marina. We reached the turnaround point and then the final water station; I also saw partner #2. He had decided to keep going, just slower than the group.

We started losing a lot of people, even a pace leader. Other groups were really broken up (Group 7 will lose people but we stay as a single unit rather than multiple clusters).

I was pretty happy to have made it this far and the realization I was headed down for the end was a good one. We edged along into Venice and the boardwalk. I am not sure what happened; but, there was some incident up front.

I started recognizing the landmarks of certain stores and sports facilities and knew it was almost time to finish. I saw the flagpoles ... good feeling. I had made it! Despite the heat, the knee, and a bad week, I made it.

We went over and stretched. We talked about the challenges and most agreed it was tough. I think I could have gone further; but, 10.2 more? One paceleader also gave some indirect ideas of what the incident was and how we are all a big family (may be dysfunctional?). He also said he would talk to those involved. Note to self: another reason to stay back! Partner #2 arrived and said he had just stopped at Mile 12 and had forced himself to keep going. The paceleaders said it had been a tough one and the temperatures had played a big role.

It was then over to the school. It was a welcome sight to see the Gatorade and bananas. It was also as a fellow Group 7er said, "Wow, this is a big spread." We got free Pom pomegranate juice sample bottles, pretzels, energy bars, a recovery drink, ... I was keen to get the recovery drink and bar to try and fare better than last week. The drink tasted a bit like cough syrup; but, I just want it to work! I wanted to really reenergize and had three rounds of Gatorade and two bananas before setting off for home.

On the way home, I was tired; but, I also felt unusually serene. I had made it! I was playing the theme song I have been using and the words just seem to really fit. It was a welcome feeling of may be not triumph, but achievement, and relief.

2:54.17 of running (clock running the entire time)
10:54 pace (including stops and water breaks)
15.97 miles ... so close!

2 comments:

  1. Felicidades, Sr. M!!!

    That was a great run!
    Yes, it was hot yesterday. I'm hoping it's not like this on March 21 or... what's going to happen to us?

    Hahaha.. my group is ALWAYS broken up! That's why I like it so much!

    No wonder we slow people never get anything once we get to the headquarters; you guys eat everything. When I got there, there were no POM juice bottles :( (that juice is suppose to be fantastic for you)

    QUE PASO??!!! (please note the shock in my voice) What's the chisme? Who fought whom? (This is too funny; OK... maybe not... )

    Enough chismes.

    I"m really happy to read that you had a good run. I'm especially thrilled to read that you felt serene afterwards.

    That's how I feel now that I'm running. The world could be collapsing and I'm serene. That happens a lot at work: the adults are fighting each other and I'm in total peace.

    Anyhow, congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops sorry. They said have at it ... so, we did!

    The POM juice came from a company representative. He had a decked out truck and everything. Not had it yet.

    I am not sure what happened as I was towards the back; but, the pace leader was not real amused. That was new for us. It must have been some sort or argument or something but he said it caused a safety risk. Normally, we're more a quiet group ... 8 was more fun-loving.

    Definitely do not want it that warm. It ws nice to see it all sunny;l but, runningwise ...

    Well, let's hope we feel the sqame after the 10, the 20, the 6.4, the 4 and ... 26.2!

    ReplyDelete