Sunday, February 28, 2010

Week 25: Certified!

Saturday meant another long run for the LA Roadrunners as training for the Los Angeles Marathon continues.

This week was different ... a bit of a longer run.

It was an interesting morning since as soon as I set out from home the skies opened and it was a very heavy rain and I thought, "Oh, oh." Also, it was restricted parking at the school; so, it meant a bit of as it turns out unnecessary uncertainty.

I met with a few fellow Group 7ers before hand. We were trying to figure out the weather, discuss the route, etc. I then headed over to the Strand, our launching pad. There was also talk of a tsunami warning due to the Chilean earthquake tragedy ... just what we needed, a tsunami warning.

Saturday was an unusual run in that we started south briefly and then north on the normal path all the way to California. I was a bit concerned as my calves got a bit sore early on, which is quite unusual. Also, we took a lot of diversions due to a lot of water being on the running trail. The rain was sprinkling.

Group 7 hit the turn and back down south we came ... passing the flagpole for the third time already after just six miles! (Note: just six miles! That still seems to odd to say). The weather seemed to be improving and my partner threw away his plastic rain covering.

We then headed into Venice as usual and then Marina del Rey. I was feeling pretty good. My knee was at times sore; but, better than the last few weeks.

Marina del Rey has become familiar terrain as well. There was an odd drop of rain; but, nothing bad.

We then headed into the zone between Marina del Rey and Playa del Rey ... It got interesting. On one of the causeways, the rain started to come down hard, very hard. My partner soon realized he had thrown his kit away too soon. This was the same place we had been soaked the previous big rain run (15 miler). It was kind of exciting and we all yelled and clapped. Yee haw!

Then we entered Playa del Rey. I was chatting with one of the paceleaders about ice hockey and the big game (Yeah, Canada!). I was doing well and feeling good.

We passed the Sheriff station, the Coast Guard base and then headed towards Dockwiler Beach, right by LAX! (Who needs a shuttle ... next time, I will just run!). I was getting excited as the mileage built up higher.

I did value the water stations certainly. One even had pretzels and some Gatorade. I was travelling heavier than normal having brought a decent sized-bottle of water and one of Powerade with me on a belt. The senior pace leader said to try Powerade on a run since that will be on offer race day.

As we headed for home, my knee did twinge some. Still, I was making it! I spoke with the Canadian paceleader and he said just log the mileage.

Around Mile 18 ... it changed. My knee was sore and I think I ran out of energy, mental and physical. I just struggled very badly.

I thought I was not going to finish. Somehow I kept moving forward. I now realize I was moving faster than I thought; but, I was struggling so and at the back of the group. I was very tempted to walk or even stop or quit; but, somehow I just kept plugging along rather than gracefully run. I was frantically doing all the Servite track steps in my head and it worked.

I kept going. I was definitely struggling; but, I was moving. I was still getting closer at least.

One of the Group 7ers, Mitch, caught up with me and was such an encouragement to have the last little home stretch. My heart kind of cheered as I saw familar stores and the sports courts. I was still going. I was struggling, but going.

Then I saw the flagpole! I tried to turn some speed and the accelerator failed; but, I was almost there. I just focused those last few yards ... success. I had made it. I had struggled mightily; but, I was there and stretching.

Afterwards, at the school, the energy was up. People were tired and sore; but, people were happy. We were drinking and eating (even had bread this time). I spoke with some Group 7ers. It was really nice and supportive. We had made it. One of the paceleaders came and gave us a certificate saying we had run 20 miles! I am now certified as ... insane, a runner, whatever ... it mattered to me. I felt my energy return fast, which surprised me.

Later in the parking lot, I met a woman who had been with Group 7, gotten hurt, and was with Run/Walk 1. She said they had passed a lot of Group 7s she knew and asked what happened. So, I must not have been the worst! That was a relief as selfish as it sounds.

At the end of it, I had finished 20 miles. 6.2. to go; but 20 logged. I have some things to think about and improve; but, I had made it. I had run it, even if not perfectly. It was a day.


Credo.

3:42.21 of running
10:56 pace
20.35 miles!

2 comments:

  1. ¡¡¡Bravo!!! :-)

    Congratulations on completing the 20 miles! That's the longest you've ever ran. Only 6.2 more and you will complete your first marathon!

    Where are you going to put your certificate? Please put it in a wall where everyone can see it. Leave some room so you can put the Mega Medal of Power right next to it. It's only a few more days before it's in your hands.

    BREAD? We didn't get any bread; but, there were some left over bananas and some POM juice.

    I liked how your group cheered when it started to rain; I think my group was annoyed.

    I also liked how you carefully placed your water cup in a trash can in MdR; your mom would be very proud of you for not littering. Unfortunately, another cup fell down on the opposite side. :-)
    Well... no, I didn't pick it up because I was in a hurry.

    Anyhow, I'm so happy that you have another accomplishment under your belt. Make sure you brag to everyone you know.

    ¡Felicidades Correcaminos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola,

    Wait, 6.2 more? Hijole.

    I am not sure about certificate. On one hand it felt like kindergarten; on the other hand ... :-) I am not sure if it was just Group 7 or others. Run/Walk 1 apparently not.

    The group was odd Saturday as we were even quieter than normal; but, whenever it has started to really rain on the long runs, we all get into it and it's loud.

    Oops. Well, I tried with the cup. Just think it's wrong to just toss them around ...


    You didn't get bread? They had tons of it left when I was leaving. It was first time there as far as I know. People seem more energized than before ... at least while I was there. May be it was finding out a dumptruck had not whacked their car?

    Now, it's Dodger Stadium, the last one, and. ...

    ReplyDelete