Thursday, February 4, 2010

I feel the need ... the need for semi-speed!

Another day and time for another running session.

Due to some work events, I flip-flopped some of the LA Roadrunners training and did my interval work this morning. I also took a different course, hoping some variety would help change the current doldrums.

I was back to Brooks pair #1, which got their second workout.

The plan was four 8:00 runs with 2:00 of rest/slow movement between, the intervals.

Even on the warm-up walk, my knee felt a little sore. It seems to have regressed the last week.

Still, mentally, I look forward to the intervals. I guess it is the old sprinting days; even though the pace is way slower than the old 800s and miles and 2-miles times; it feels fast! I also played around and did the sprinter arm moves for turns, which just somehow helps my mind.

I set out and did decently on #1. I did the same as #2. Run #3 was a lot harder; I started slow and just never felt comfortable. I really wanted to do better on #4 and did a bit better. I did kind of get a song in my head about half-way through, which helped. While #3 was not great, it did at least make the ends of the target range for pace (barely .... but it did!).

I was not as comfortable as the last time I did intervals; but, I at least got it done and was in the pace target range.

I am hoping my knee will get better the next few days. It looks like the Los Angeles Marathon will come before it is 100%; so, it may be a test of will ... road and distance and pain/soreness vs. crazy white guy.

I still have some things to work on improving: energy-sleep ratio, having more fun, ...

Run #1 8:05 of running 9.27 pace .86 miles
Run #2 8:04 of running 9.31 pace .85 miles
Run #3 8:19 of running 9.44 pace .84 miles (may be this is like being graded on a curve, where you can drop your worst score?)
Run #4 8:13 of running 9.35 pace .86 miles

2 comments:

  1. Hello RR!

    I'm having trouble posting my beautiful comments.

    Anyhow...
    Yes, you can grade on a curve unless you get better results doing an average. I cannot say which is better since I failed math and statistics and the like...

    BUT, you ran in target range so don't worry about it. The less you worry the better for your health.

    Ok... starting today let's think that our knees will be in top shape for March 21

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Time to start thinking how improved the knees will be on March 21.

    ReplyDelete