Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Comeback Starts?

This is a reduced training week for the LA Roadrunners as everyone tapers the training in time for the big day, the Los Angeles Marathon.

I decided to run this morning rather than in Thursday, again for work reasons.

I had a short night of sleep due to a late meeting and so decided to take a bit extra sleep rather than a pre-run tostada, Tostadas though seem to be a potential secret weapon.

I set out dark and early and felt pretty good. There was a little coughing at the start; but, it was reduced from before and much better than few weeks ago. May be it is just my motor sputtering at the start? The weather was a bit cloudy but warmer than recent days.

Anyways, I was running a modified M1 route since it was scheduled for 40 minutes. I went west slightly and then headed east to Los Angeles and back into Santa Monica to begin the loop near Santa Monica Airport.

I felt relaxed which was a nice feeling and also a surprise. My knee felt pretty good as well; in fact, lately, it seems to be a bit sorer while NOT running. It is definitely better than the crisis times.

The only real drawbacks were traffic lights, a few of which are long and just kill momentum, and also a diversion when I heard the rather angry barks of likely a large dog. After previous dog encounter, I was not taking a chance and changed course though it turned out the dog was behind a fence (just hard to tell in the dark and I was not keen to verify its status).

I made it home and felt pretty good indeed.

I had hoped for a bit faster pace; but, it was much improved over recent efforts and allowing for traffic light pace destroyers I am a lot more satisfied. The confidence is slowly coming back, thankfully.

40:32 of running
3.67 miles
11:08 pace

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I think this is your much awaited comeback!

    Yes, stay away from the dogs. One of the first graders in Rm. 12 was attacked by a dog this weekend. The boy is tiny and the dog was vicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The group 8 SPL sent out an email saying now would be a good time not to take up skydiving, motorcycling, mountainclimbing, ...

    Dogs ... hazard of the job I guess. :-( Hope the boy is o.k.

    ReplyDelete