Saturday, March 13, 2010

Week 27: The End of the Beginning

Today was the last group run for the LA Roadrunners. The next time we get together it will not be a Saturday. It will not be in Venice. It will not be light. It WILL be dark. It will be at Dodger Stadium. It will be the Los Angeles Marathon.

Personally, it was a bit hard as I had my mind elsewhere.

The paceleaders told us it would be a "fun run" and they even recommended NOT bringing our beloved Garmin systems and other electronics!

The weather turned out to be very beautiful, if only warm. I hope it is not this warm come marathon day. We were also told there would be five mandatory stops for a relatively short run, six miles, to California Avenue.

Before the group rallied together, though, I met up with my old partner in the parking lot. He has a vertebrate issue among other things and was told, "You can not run or you can risk permanent damage." Needless to say he is a Roadrunner and ... he chose B. He is trying to do run/walk and thinks he can do it; he did 20 miles on the beach while the group was at Dodger Stadium last week.

Our senior pace leader got us together before the run and gave us some new information on the procedures for race day. He is always right up-to-the-minute which is great. One funny thing was while he was addressing us we could hear the organizers yelling, "Where the hell is Group 6?" For once, it was not 7 getting lost, running in circles or blowing through hold lines! Yeah! It only took us 27 weeks ...

We lined up and I partnered with Danny again. It just seemed light-hearted the whole time and I was joking with people near me. I saw my friend from church again and invited him along for the run or next week's short excursion.

We hit the first and only water station at Casa del Mar and the photos started. Then we headed up the Santa Monica Pier for the last climb and took an "official" group photo for the Roadrunners at the top. (It would have been cool under the famous sign; but, not to be alas.) We then went along the now familiar climb up Ocean Avenue.

At the top of the hill, we stopped at California Avenue for more photos. It was a tad disappointing not to go to the Totem Pole just across the street one more time ... I need the luck for my knee!

Soon, we headed back home. We stopped very quickly at Ocean Avenue and Santa Monica ... the finish line. I'll be back.

and got some wonderful views of the Santa Monica Pier. Soon enough we were on it as usual; but, this time we went down the steps by Bubba Gump's. The finish expo will be there; so, now I know where. Apparently, there will be a ramp in place of the stairs as well ... presumably so we can just roll down and not have to walk down stairs after 26.2.

We made our way under the pier and headed on the familiar stretch home. Before we hit the last water station, we got reminded ... "This is your last chance to go 2 x 2 before the marathon." Ah yes, Group 7 discipline!

Eerily, the group suddenly got quiet and remained so until the end. It was just odd as all the joking ended. It was if we were on a long run again. It was striking.

When we reached the flagpole, there was a big cheer and handshakes and fist bumps. We stretched briefly and then headed to the school to pick up the very exclusive Roadrunners wristband, not available in stores mind you. Since as usual I am in the last group of the alphabet, I just naturally went to the end. No need to look! It was nice as the Canadian paceleader was distributing to W-Z!

Afterwards, I saw Nancy again and she seemed happy. I spoke for a while with Danny, Pete, and Mitch from the group plus my old partner. Then it was off for home and some needed reflection.

Game on.

6.1 Miles
1:25.24 of running.walking/stopping for photos
14:01 pace







2 comments:

  1. Ah, yes, the ear to ear smile. Coach G, from work, calls me Happy Face because he says I always look happy-- (even after I was treated as a criminal.)

    Hopefully, your friend will be able to run for many years to come. Sometimes the doctors just don't get it.

    It was a bitter sweet run, wasn't it? For one, it was a celebration of everyone's accomplishments; the sad part is that it was the last Saturday run.

    I hope you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I am not sure the doctors realize once you're in ... you are in. No question.

    I wonder what the return rate is? Now, I know people it is probably going to be funner.

    ReplyDelete