Friday, March 19, 2010

Target for Tonight ...

Target for Tonight is a phrase R.A.F. Bomber Command used to use before setting off on a mission in World War II against the bad guys. Those guys were tough, loyal, and resilient and committed to completing the mission.

I hope I can be like them Sunday. I have not had the best week of sleep between events, work, and just some nerves (plus stupidly drinking a sports drink right before trying to sleep!). So, Target for Tonight: SLEEP!

I have been trying to mentally prepare. I now am facing the idea of heat ... not a pleasant one.

Also, normally, this weekend I would be in Anaheim for the Religious Education Congress and right near my old native land ... and Servite. So, I am trying to do the next best thing ... bring Servite to me!

First, I found out a classmate is running as well. That's two of us! The brethren are present. if you are not a Friar, it does not make sense ... if you are ... well, you know.

Second, I am thinking back to how I did things at Servite Track. Different races; different strategies ... I remember some of the key moments and our training,. The Bowl. Glover. STICK! Hell Week. We were taught the mantras: Mind over Matter; If You Do Not Mind the Pain; It Does Not Matter. Mind Over Matter; if You Do Not Mind the Heat; It Does Not Matter. We were a pretty tough crew.

I also remember for whatever reason I always ran my best in the worst conditions: very hot, very "cold," or messed up track. I have no idea why; but, I did. It became a matter of pride!

I want to have that feeling Sunday. I am not bringing warm-up gear; I want to feel the "cold." I am 1/2 Canadian after all! My focus will be moving forward. I may struggle; but, I will work.

Servite sports also were big on team. LA Roadrunners is not quite there (we were basically brothers on the teams at Servite); but, it has some similarities.

I want to run to complete the ThinkCure! pledges and remember what happened in 2009. I want to be able to go past my old office where I was discarded like garbage ... and show them it did not break me. I will complete the Los Angeles Marathon.

I also remember the first time I ran a 3.5 at track I struggled; I struggled the last two miles of the 20-miler as well. But, I learned lessons. I am also feeling better now. I think I can do better.

I have also got a mental boost set-up. I do not think anyone will be there watching me; so, I will be my own support.

I am trying to do my best to eat right, drink the water, etc.; but, I also am doing my mental work.

For me, Servite is important. It taught me so much, besides academics.

On Sunday I will be thinking as a Friar once again.

DESIRE.

DEDICATION.

DETERMINATION.

DISCIPLINE.

WE ARE SERVITE.

CREDO.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, Mr. M, that's the spirit!

    Go out there and show those awful people that you're unstoppable. Ellos son la basura; usted no.

    Do it in honor of your loved ones, and in honor of yourself for the courage to keep going despite what happened last year.

    From all the people I've met during the past six months, you are the one who deserves this medal the most (no arguing with me or else...)

    Have a wonderful run.

    ReplyDelete