Thursday, March 4, 2010

Old School

No more running this week until Saturday ... the LA Roadrunners are tapering down as the Los Angeles Marathon approaches.

I have been trying to work a bit on the mental part of this whole process. (Though some may argue you have to be mental to even try a marathon).

First, I looked at last Saturday. I completed 20 miles, which was a record by four miles. I struggled the last two definitely and that is a concern; but, I finished. I also seem to have recovered better than many others in my group which has surprised me.

I am hoping if I can completely be free or significantly reduce the cold and coughing that there will be a big boost.

I also believe I did not eat enough energy products during the run; so, the planning will be changed (I had the food ... I just did not eat enough).

My knee is better as well; it is not perfect ... but better is a good thing. It makes me more trusting and confident. I also now believe I will be keeping the sleeve on for a while.

Saturday also made me think way back to the track days. The first time I was told to run a 3.5 (3. 5 miles) for Hell Week I struggled as it was new to me. After that time though, it clicked and I was actually pretty good at it as well as when it was boosted to the 5.8 trip into Fullerton.

So, the last two miles last Saturday are and were a concern; but, I think the experience helped.

Then there is the mental angle overall. 26.2 is a tad daunting. It is a challenge; the task is complete the challenge.

I am starting to envision finishing, the actual final stretch down Ocean Avenue. The hope to finish on the balls of my feet (not the normal distance running heelstriking) in a sprint (or relative sprint) ... going old school. Is it possible? I hope so! I want to ... badly.

I have been thinking how I used to prepare for the sprints and relays. I had a series of songs. I had build-up steps all day. I am trying to translate those ideas to distance running (I know the movie-in-my head has changed already ... aircraft catapult launches from "Top Gun" were great for sprinting but not so good for distance .... so the beach run of "Chariots of Fire" is in play. Why? The looks of determination, but also fun ... the smoothness ... the calmness ... the desire ...

I have the theme song set and have a few other candidates for back-up/build-up. Again, there are changes from the track days due to more songs now obviously and just the difference in need from massive, quick energy and power to endurance. Old School with some renovations.

The 13th will be a hard run. It will be a year to the day since everything started to go badly. It will be the day the opportunity to change it all comes to the fore. It is going to be more a mental exercise than a physical exercise (Six miles? Six miles? You're joking right? Six bloody miles?)

At Servite sports meant being mentally tough. It was drilled in constantly and helped a lot. We would beat teams we should not have beaten. I need and want that spirit back March 21.

It's old school time.

No comments:

Post a Comment