Sunday, March 7, 2010

Wait, we ran what?

Saturday was another in the now dwindling number of LA Roadrunner training days as the Los Angeles Marathon draws ever closer.

This time it was a return to Dodger Stadium for hill training. I got to go in a new entrance gate, the Downtown Gate! I arrived early to stretch and just enjoy being at the stadium and not paying $15 to park. (This led to me getting an official Dodger Stadium pinecone!). Again they opened the left field pavilion so Roadrunners could use the restrooms ... it was so like a ghost town.

Eventually more people came and I started to see people from Group 7. As we waited we heard a big THUD. Either someone drove into a pole or another vehicle ... oops.

Anyways, we got going and got a nice boost as they did the Roadrunners' chant again ... loud and proud. People seemed pretty into it.

The group was down from last week. I am not sure if it was the potential rain or the aftermath of the 20-Miler or just this was a short run ... Our senior pace leader said they would regret their decision.

We lined up and I had a new partner, quite a nice guy. We chatted off and on all run.

Being Group 7 we do things a bit differently ... this time when we lined up for departure we took right off through the managing woman saying, "Wait, which group is this ... stop! stop! Where are you going?" Ah yes, Group 7 blowing the light! This led to a traffic jam soon after at a chokepoint to exit the stadium as we met up with Group 6 and also a walking or run/walk group.

It also seemed like we saw a LOT of Rod Dixon on his bike throughout the run. I quipped he may remember the last excursion where he rescued us from being lost.

This time we did not do the two laps around the stadium; instead, we made two circuits of the NPN 5K Course. The exit road remains a concern with a lot of cracks and street damage. We then made a tour up some hills and onto a trail. Here, the city did not have gates opened; so, we had to go around them. Hopefully, they are open for the 5K or those runners are in for the unpleasant surprise of a steeplechase or hurdle!

My knee was average; my calves were a little tender for about a mile. Still, I kept going with the group. It was fairly easy and I was working on my uphill and downhill form. The weather being overcast helped, though as usual I was sweating.

On the ascent up the final hill of Circuit I, we saw snake in the middle of the road. Oops. Is that a good sign? It was also the day to begin buying single-game Los Angeles Dodgers tickets; so, lots of people were around and there were cars ... something different from the first visit. It still seems od being at the stadium and not seeing a game.

We stopped for water and being in the back again faced the Group 7 challenge of sprinting to catch up as the front of the line leaves so quickly. The group was on its way for Circuit II and it went fairly smoothly.

We made it back and did stretching. For the first time in my life, I was on my back on the Dodger Stadium parking lot! Interesting.

Our senior pace leader then gave us a long, detailed briefing on hints and strategies for the upcoming marathon. (So detailed that many groups came after us and were done with the bananas and Gatorade before we broke up). He is a big help preparing for everything. Sometimes it seems a bit daunting; but, he also reassures.

We then hit the food and drink table, this time with the addition of soy milk, which I tried for the first time.

It was time to go home as the clouds were darkening fast ... drops were coming. I headed home surface as my knee was a bit sore and the rain was coming quite hard. We had been lucky in the timing, definitely.

So, another training run done.

Before I left I checked my Garmin. They said our pace would likely be slow due to the hills; but, it was not. The big thing was I was a bit horrified at the distances it contains a certain number series ... what the ...

Time: 1:09.32
Pace: 10:27
Distance: 6.66 Miles ...

4 comments:

  1. Oops! Let's hope it's nothing serious. Let's not worry about the numbers nor the snake.

    By the way, was it a rattlesnake? Was it poisonous? Did anyone scream? Did it go away?

    It sounds like you had a good run. Were you guys able to do fun things in the field? Did you do anything crazy like I told you?

    Where are you going to put your pine cone? I bring official UCLA pine cones homes to decorate for Christmas; and YES, I do know what a pine cone is.

    How is your knee? I hope you're feeling better.

    I"m glad you have such great SPL. It's best to get hear all those tips than live in total darkness like I have. We haven't received one single email from the SPLs. Can you believe it?

    Keep up the good work; we only have a few more days to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The snake was dead ... we went by it too fast to see what type (it was off the left side and I was right side runner).

    No, no playtime on the outfield this time. I think they did not want to open the stadium since there were so many people there to buy game tickets for the Dodgers.

    Not sure ... I will find some use for te pine cone. I have one for each jovenes retreat in the mountains; so, mya be a different display?

    Knee is variable. It goes up and down; but, overall, better than December.

    Our SPL seriously is awesome. I got VERY lucky to end up in group 7. I think 8's PLS are very good are as well; but, Alan is just so experienced and positive. He send out emails basically every day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emails everyday? We get lucky if we get one per week; in another group it's once ever two weeks.

    If the snake was dead than it's not a bad omen. So don't worry.

    Did you read about eating pineapple in the new edition of Runner's World. It helps against inflammation.

    Yes, I read that the Dodger's began to sell tickets that day. Did you buy any?

    I used to collect rocks from my visits, but not anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, we usually get one ... sometimes more per day from group 7 and quite a few per week from Group 8.

    No Dodger tickets. They jacked up the prices plus had to be in a lottery and stand in line ... which is a bit hard to do while running the 5K course twice! May be I will go this season ...

    Rocks would be interesting too.I should have asked for a Dodgers paycheck to collect!

    ReplyDelete