Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I'm Ready for My Close-Up

Today it was back to running dark and early. Time change or not ... it's still dark!

It was kind of an odd day as I thought about where I was a year ago today ... Wigan and Wigan Pier. Now, my focus is getting to the Santa Monica Pier.

The interesting bit was I was asked to be photographed while on my trot around Santa Monica and West Los Angeles.

So, since the LA Roadrunners schedule said 30 minutes ... off I went on a shortened M1 route.

I felt good. VERY, VERY good. I have not felt this way in MONTHS. I am not sure why; I hope it lasts!!!!!!

I started out fast without even sensing it until the Garmin check yielded a ... "What the ..." I was flying. I was trying to slow down; but, I was still fast. It was amazing. Kind of a human version of the cars without brakes.

May be it was seeing flashes form the camera?

Whatever it was ... I was fast and staying fast.


I made the route and felt full of energy. It was a nice feeling after everything.

I made it back and started to stretch.

The photographer said seeing a runner in the dark with so little traffic and life around (04:00) was "surreal."

What was surreal for me was the pace ... I keep this up and I can do well come Sunday at the Los Angeles Marathon.

29:10 of running (well, 50 seconds short)
3.20 miles
9:07 pace (I feel the need time).

4 comments:

  1. Mr. M, you keep this up and you'll be able to beat the Kenyans. Just keep praying for snow so that you'll have an advantage over them.

    Was the photographer able to capture the fire coming out from your head?

    Too bad he didn't capture you on a rainy day, that would have been a fantastic picture, especially if fire was coming out of your head.

    It's great to see you so cheerful and full of energy, especially now that the BIG DAY is a few days away. After all the hard work and the sacrifices you've made, it's time for your reward!!

    Felicidades!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, good luck. I trained with the Leggers for the marathon Sunday (I found your blog by looking, futilely, yet again, for the patron saint of runners). While tapering, I'm still thinking about who I will choose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think we have a saint for running alas ... I'm going with Michael since he is a) my name saint b) symbol of struggle

    ReplyDelete
  4. On the photos ... not seem them. I did not achieve the smoking head alas. I had the standard black cap on which I normally do not midweek.

    Seriously, I think it looks cool.

    ReplyDelete