Thursday, January 14, 2010

Dark With Sunny Intervals

Well, Wednesday came and that meant it was time to do intervals for the LA Roadrunners program. I was curious how I would do after last weekend as well as still fighting a cold and post-retreat energy lag.

I set out for Clover Park on a night run as I prefer to do the intervals on a fixed course. It actually started getting windy as I walked south, which got me thinking of the old sprinting days. The walk also doubled as my warm-up.

After drinking some water, I set out on Round 1 ... fast. Very fast, as in faster than 5K pace and slowed after checking the trusty Garmin 305 electronic conscience. I was doing pretty well indeed, some soreness in the knee, but speed was up and I felt good.

I took the now reduced slower pace rest (2:30 vs 3:00 last week as the running was up to 7:00 from 6:30) and set out again ... fast again! It felt nice to be honest; but, I slowed and kept the pace going and met targets. Yeah.

Round 3 was more of the same. My knee was not 100%; but, ti was better than last week and so were my times. This time I found a cadence to pace myself. It sounds crazy; but, "Vamos a la playa" ("We go to the beach") since that is where the Los Angeles Marathon will more or less end) somehow entered my mind and clicked and seemed to work well. It makes no sense; but, it worked ... and at this point, I will take it. My form also seemed better and I even got the thumb clicking going ... yeah!

Round 4 ... again the same! Yeah!

I finished up, stretched, watered, and headed for home enjoying the breeze and remembering the Servite days. I was not running on the balls of my feet like back then; but, it felt fast at least.

In terms of British weather, it was dark; but, I felt good. This was my first positive run in a while and it indeed was "sunny intervals." The results were on target, my paces were pretty consistent, and the knee survived. Not bad.

Round 1 9:06 pace 7:04 of running time 0.78 miles
Round 2 9:12 pace 7:06 of running time 0.77 miles
Round 3 9:12 pace 7:08 of running time 0.78 miles
Round 4 9:10 pace 7:06 of running time 0.77 miles

2 comments:

  1. Yeah! I love running fast too! It makes me feel young.

    Vamos a la Playa... is this a new version of the song? It used to be famous in Mexico back in the 80's
    "Vamos a la playa ...Oh...OH...Oh...Oh...Oh..." (That's all I remember)

    What do you mean in British weather it was dark? Does that mean it was sunny?

    Is it the same as in Canadian weather when it's "supposedly" hot, but it's really cold?

    I'm confused...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The British wetaher is famous for changing every 15 minutes, sometimes literlaly. They will have like nine symbols for each city somedays on the forecast. So, when I ran it was night and no light ... they will say "dark" when not much sun ... which there wasn't. "sunny intervals" is british for the sun may occasionally break through the clouds and at times the rain!

    I have no idea why Vamos a la Playa llegue en mi cabeza ... pero, trabaje bien :-)I only had the one line; didn't even manage Oh, oh, oh, oh ... doh.

    ReplyDelete