Thursday, January 7, 2010

Intervals ...

The LA Roadrunners training program for the Los Angeles Marathon entered a new phase, Phase 5, with a goal of building intensity. With it came a new mid-week workout, intervals!

So, needing somewhere to run the new sets I headed to Clover Park in Santa Monica, my original running ground back in May.

Intervals mean running hard for a set time and then taking a break/moving slower and then back to the hard running and so forth. This one called for 6 intervals of 6:30 of hard running with 3:30 breaks of walking/jogging in between the runs.

I was a bit leery with my knee and also tired from work; but, off I started. I kind of messed up the first one and really got going for about two minutes (the sprinter mentality was back) and slowed way up at the end.

After, I felt a bit dehydrated and decided I would get some water after every run as well.

It kept going on and on; I felt o.k.; but, not great. It was kind of odd running at night (as opposed to the dark and early pre-dawn); but, the star-filled sky was nice as was having a semi-track to use, even if it was concrete.

My knee was a bit troublesome on the way to the park; but, it was better while running. I think there are some factors working: endorphins and adrenaline kicking in, ligaments warming up, and just I like running. It is still nowhere near 100%; but, it was o.k. I also took two Aleves as recommended before setting out; but, now think, may be i need to take them say an hour early to get in the system.

I finished my set. I did feel a bit tired; I think the injury-week of rest hurt a little plus work. Overall, I would have liked to run a bit faster; but. I will take it at this point.

Round 1: 6:32 9.17 pace 0.7 miles
Round 2: 6:31 9.27 pace 0.7 miles
Round 3: 6:32 9.44 pace 0.67 miles
Round 4: 6.33 9.46 pace 0.67 miles
Round 5: 6:35 9.43 pace 0.68 miles
Round 6: 6:42 9.42 pace 0.69 miles

I was happy it got consistent on Rounds 3-6; I just want to raise the speed a bit, which I think knee improving would allow for (I hope!). It was a bit fun feeling a tad faster than normal, even if these times would have horrified me in school.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad your knee felt better while running. Are you still using the brace? Mmmm... better take that medicine an hour earlier. Is your knee swollen, by the way?~~ Just wondering.

    Mr. M, your commitment and hard training is really making us, lazy folk, feel quite embarrassed. Those numbers are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks.

    Ues, I wore the brace. Can it take 10 miles or 20 or 26? I don't know ... yet.

    I don't think anyone in Roadrunners is lazy! We're there at 07:00 Saturday mornings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I feel lazy most of the times. :)

    ReplyDelete