Thursday, January 21, 2010

Time for St. Medard?

It was another day for training; so, dark and early I set out again under the LA Roadrunners schedule.

I am kind of happy my knee is at least good enough to allow me to do a second run after a pretty short rest (ending 21:30 Wednesday night; out 04:20 Thursday). The schedule called for some hills and 45 minutes; so, I set out on my standard M1 route. I was in a windbreaker, which always makes me feel slow for some reason.

I was doing pretty well and the weather was not bad, just an occasional sprinkle. I made the first hill and kept going. My knee felt pretty good!

On Hill 2 I heard a largeish-sounding dog and since it was so dark, I decided not to risk a repeat of last week and abruptly turned back 1/2 way down. I was still doing pretty well and pace was quickening until I hit a traffic light and all the momentum ended.

It also began to rain ... again.

I kept going; but, I could feel I was losing traction and momentum and the ability to accelerate. Wet concrete is not the ideal running surface.

I got another hill in and headed towards Santa Monica Airport with the rain increasing. I kept plowing away; but, the rain was starting to affect me with the need to go to the elite, manual "windshield wipers" and the ongoing traction issue.

As the rain got stronger, I just tried to do my best. Target pace was gone. I was just going to do what I could and try to make it back intact. I also managed to hit some deep puddles (it sounds crazy; but, in the dark, the deep water is difficult to pick out at times until SPLASH!).

I did make it back, rather waterlogged. It was not up to pace target; but, I did complete it!

I then looked and found out that St. Medard is the Catholic patron saint for bad weather ... so, may be he will be a marathon patron?

45:47 of soggy running
4.03 miles
11:22 pace ... oops!

1 comment:

  1. Mr. M,
    Does your mom know that you run in these weather conditions?

    St. Medard-- wasn't he French? Mais, tu ne plaît pas le françaises... therefore, I don't think St. Medard will come to our aid on March 21.

    That name reminds me of the longest marathon in the world in Medoc, France. I wonder how long it would take me to complete that one. Mabe 12 hrs or something.

    ReplyDelete