Sunday, January 3, 2010

Week 17: Live to Fight Another Day

Well, as the old movie says, "When Saturday Comes," (the British one about soccer, not the cheap American copy), and so it went with the LA Roadrunners.

Saturday was the first run of the new year and decade for the group and also MY first run of the year and decade.

I was nervous when I got up (despite having gone to sleep earlier) over my dodgy knee. I was cheered a bit when I heard my unofficial running theme song unexpectedly over the radio. I then went back to the good old days and played my old race day music.

Once at the school, it was clear it was going to be a beautiful day. Amazing conditions and even a bit of Santa Ana Winds that had kicked up overnight. I reunited with Group 7 (Magnificent 7/Lucky 7) and found my normal partner. I also worked on motivating myself.

It was kind of alarming to be so concerned over five miles, something that should be by now nothing!

Before my group set out, I did meet a fellow University of San Diego Torero! Yeah! She was out for the first time with the group and had a USD shirt on; so, I said hello. She graduated last year in psychology; so, a lot different from me ... but, now, that is a Friar and a Torero I've met at Roadrunners.

Anyways, we set out and I did feel some soreness but nothing too bad. I kept pace with the group, which was encouraging as we are now at race pace (10:30 a mile). We headed north, where as usual I saw a friend from church and we exchanged hand signals. I kept going and reached the water station for some welcome liquids in the hot weather.

Soon, we were back on the way encountering numerous Ohio State fans out for a walk in the gorgeous weather. We took a new route and went under the Santa Monica Pier for a short ways and then turned around for home.

My group kept going and I was still up with them, despite the soreness.

We reached the start and took a slight trip into Venice and turned around back to the boardwalk when one of the paceleaders decided we were short; so, we did a second loop! I kept up and finished ... my Garmin 305 said 4.99 miles so I did that bit extra to make it an even 5.00! I was sore and it was a bit of a struggle; but, I made it somehow.

It was also warm! My shirt had a decent amount of sweat on it for the first time in weeks.

I was happy to be finished, even if this was a relatively small challenge. Afterwards at the school, I was horrified to see the reality of "Yes, we have no bananas." I still got hold of some Gatorade and water.

Afterwards, I talked with the senior pace leader for my group about my knee. He was reassuring and said for now ice it three times a day, take Aleves before and after, stretch a lot, and then go BACK to running as much as possible at pace. If not better in a few weeks, ... Not ideal; but, better than I feared.

I so want to run this race; now, may be my goal is just to finish? Los Angeles Marathon vs. crazy guy. Adelante.

Time out 53:22, 5,00 miles, 10:40 pace.

3 comments:

  1. Hurray! Congratulations!!!

    I was laughing when I read that you ran a little extra to make it an even 5 miles. We were short too (4.98m) so I kept going because I wanted 5 miles. Are we crazy or what?

    Oh, no! No bananas! How terrible! :-) After the run I went straight home to get some left over tamales before the piranhas in my family devoured them.

    I'm glad you talked to the pace leader. How about if you talked to Mr. Dixon? He might have some suggestions too.

    Of course you're going to finish the marathon! Everybody knows that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks.

    I think may be it is a mental thing ... when you have to struggle, you want it to mean something and 5.00 sounds better than 4.whatever.

    Hmmm ... tamales. :-)

    And you to ... we'll get it done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we will get it done!!!

    ReplyDelete