Sunday, January 24, 2010

Week 20: Three Degrees of Separation?

Saturday was another day for a LA Roadrunners long run ... all to try to finish the Los Angeles Marathon on March 21. With less than two months to go, it is getting more intense, plus with the storms of the past week it just felt different!

The conditions were great for me. Some complained of the "cold;" but, I was happy. I also found out one of the pace leaders was originally from Toronto; so, we both agreed that it was DEFINITELY not cold. It was sunny and clear, with wonderful views of high waves breaking onto the beach. There were also large puddles many places, fallen palm fronds, and lots of displaced sand and dirt. It was post-storm So Cal to perfection.

My group has gotten smaller, 52 now vs. 70-80 before. I am not sure if they moved to faster groups, slower groups, or no groups. We set out and headed north as usual. I passed my friend from church and did the now ritualistic invitation to come join in the fun, which for some reason he always refuses.

We headed north to the hotels and the usual water stop; but, the group then turned around and headed south due to the mud and dampness on the usual route. I again passed by my friend and he again somehow held out against temptation to join in, despite it being only 10 more miles.

At this point, my partner-killing tradition came to its usual effect. My normal partner was back, which was nice as we chatted heading north. He was recovering from a pulled hamstring two weeks before. Soon, though, it was causing serious pain along with some prior injuries to his back. He said he was dropping off and the tradition was revived.

I was running solo for a spell until another runner filled in the slot. After talking for a bit, we found out we had quite a few things in common. We are both Knights of Columbus (Fourth Degree), I knew his mother from my new job, and he had been married at the church at my new job (St. John the Baptist in Baldwin Park). So, that was a small world moment!

We continued on and I felt pretty good. My knee was a bit tender; but, not throbbing pain or intolerable. We headed south into Venice's sidestreets and then into the Marina del Rey area. It is amazing seeing the huge boats and yachts, as well as posh hotels, present. I saw one boat with a Union Jack and one with a Canadian Maple Leaf! Yeah! The route did seem more crowded than normal and a lot of the time we went single-file due to vehicle traffic, runner traffic, or flooding/storm debris. I experimented and found it was not really possible to draft very well compared to track races. Alas.

I did get some very nice views of snow-capped mountains through gaps in the hotels and condominiums. Quite a decent reward for the journey, even if I could not touch snow.

Eventually, we came to the library at Marina del Rey for the turnaround. We were going to get water before; but, somehow, there was miscommunication and we ended up doing an extra loop! The horror. In the end we did get the water and that is what matters! I also saw how the waves were coming OVER the breakwater/jetty, which was pretty impressive.

Even more impressive was I saw my normal running partner ... he was still chugging along, just slower!

One of the pace leaders told us to be sad as were down to the last 5K. Heck, most people get t-shirts and prizes for running 5Ks! We get told to be sad? I guess that is a sign of progress, right?

We kept going and soon enough got back to Windward starting point. I felt pretty good. My calves did feel a bit drained; but, it was not too bad.

Back at the school I went and got an ice pack for my knee and took the recommended Aleves. I was heading to the promised land, the land of Gatorade and bananas, when I heard, "Hey!" I was called over by a woman who then asked, "Do you go to St. Sebastian's?" I replied no; but, instead St. Anne's. It turns out she is the granddaughter of one of the choir members at the Saturday night Mass. She is in a different group (Run/Walk 3); but, always nice to feel a connection besides running to all the people in grey shirts! So, another small world moment.

I waited and met my running partner at the promised land. He finished the run! He struggled and was hurting; but, he finished. He is also off to the hardship post that is Maui next week; so, I may need a new sacrificial lamb partner.

Later in the day, my calves and hamstrings did begin to feel heavy. I took a bit of a walk to Clover Park and back just trying to get the blood flowing. Hopefully, the feeling is better soon.

Anyways, it was another run done. This had a lot of unexpected meetings; but, it got the job done.

2:13.45
10:40 pace including waterstops
12.16 miles!

2 comments:

  1. Hello, Mr. M!

    Long time no see! I was wondering how you were doing after the 12 miles. I'm so happy that you had another successful run, and that your knee has gotten stronger. Hurray!!

    YES! The mountains were gorgeous. Are you going to visit your beloved snow?

    You're popular! People are always recognizing you everywhere you go. Are you a celebrity or something?

    I'm not sure about your partner-killing tradition. I think you need a "limpia" to get rid of any negative vibes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola,

    I think at this point finishing counts as a success :-)

    Afriad no visits ... the news said they were stopping people from going due to too many people and no parking. The horror.

    Celebrity? Definitely not. Paty of it is probably just being in Santa Monica ... if we ran in the Valley or South Bay or Arcadia or somewhere ...

    Honestly, I don't know what it is; but, I have had serious problems with partners bailing out mid-run or getting hurt. I'm bad luck :-(Then again, I'm born on the 13th at St. Jude's (desperate/lost causes ... what can you expect?). I think I'm up to 6 victims. My usual partner and I get along well; but, now, he's hurt and also gone next week.

    ReplyDelete